Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hi, Im new to this site and need advice..

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hey Ladies,

Well I have been a single mom raising my daughter Bethany since she was 6 months. I won't lie its been hard and a struggle the past couple of years but we are a team and have been ok. Last December I was in a car accident and shattered my ankle which I am still recovering from to this date, including my last surgery on my ankle in September. I ended up having to leave Rhode Island where me and my daughter was living to be around family in Florida, since I need the extra help now with the fact I can't walk much or drive until I'm better from my right ankle. Its been very hard, especially having Beth and we can't go out and do things like before.

I have been trying to decide on if to stay in Florida where my family is or move. I will be getting money from a law suit probably by end of next summer so this is my chance of a new start and beginning for me and my Beth. My family and sister don't feel I should move cause Beth has her family, but I've always been close to my family so I don't feel us moving away is going to change that. I also am 31 and need to start thinking of getting a house and maybe starting a small restaurant or food truck business, something I went to school for and is a dream of mine. I was looking at Portland, reasons are its a great city for families, food trucks are big out there, prices on homes are decent, it has a great school system, and it'll would be a new beginning for me and Beth.

I would like advice from other single moms and if you had an opportunity for a new beginning and to be able to finally maybe get a start on ur dream would you take the opportunity or would you stay by your family knowing the success you want would probably never happen in Florida. Im torn, I don't want Beth to feel I took her away from her family but I also feel she's 5 and still young and I know we can have a better life out in Portland with a brand new beginning.

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mz23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
That's tough. You have to do what is best for you and your family. I'm not sure what decision id make, but I do like to be close to my family. Good luck!
abusednotbroken
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that is tough. Not trying to add to the confusion, but is there anywhere closer that you could do equally as well?

Me thinking outloud: Your family is Beth's family, but YOU are her immediate family. I get you're single, and as a single mom myself, it's hard giving so much when you're just one person, so I can really understand what you mean by taking her away from them. However, there is a lot to consider. This doesn't just affect her life, but all generations after you (not to sound corny). I think you have to do what's right for you--living your dream and giving her financial stability-- even though that means moving away. I know making trips to see family might be difficult or few and far between, but you are pretty much her world anyway. It sounds like you can do it because you've done it before and would still be with her by yourself had you not had your accident. In life, there will be good and bad no matter what decision you make, but I think you feel it within yourself what the right course to take is. You have to listen to that because at the end of the day, you make your own decisions and will have insight in areas no one else can ever have.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to our group!

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Moving from EastSouthward to WestNorthward is a BIG change.  Climate change is very different as well. 

Bzmom1019
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Your right, deep down I know this move is the best thing..It's going to be a big change but I'll never not have my family neither will Beth, especially cause we are so close...I'm going to follow my gut, life is about chances..

Thanks for the advice ;)

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!!! I'm glad you found us!

Bzmom1019
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Thank you, so am I !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)