Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child custody when not married and never lived together

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:58 AM
  • 8 Replies
Anybody with advice on maintaining custody when father decides he wants all or joint custody? We were never engaged, married, or lived together. My son, now 4, was born with severe bi-bilateral club feet and through many doc appointments, castings, surgery, and therapy....I've been the primary caregiver and the cold has lived with me. Father claims to have has the child almost 50% of the time. He asked for him on a sporadic basis, which was fine with me and I promoted it. Now I'm faced with proving this "50%" not true...how? Also...father has displayed less than mature and respectful....I wil just say it....coercive....behaviors (i.e.threatening that he has pictures of our having sex and that I had better come to a compromise or off to court we go,etc). What are my rights and how do the courts look at threatening texts when dealing with custody??? Anybody out there know?????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Bump keep them all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:47 AM
I would definitely contact a lawyer.
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Get a really good lawyer and you should be fine. Good luck!

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Yep. Get a good lawyer and tell him to bring it on. Threatening you with pictures of BOTH of you together is STUPID.

Start keeping any and everything he sends you. And document time he spends helping with, taking care of attending dr appointments for your son, etc.
DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Get a lawyer! 

Proving the child lived with you shouldn't be too hard.  Was he in daycare or preschool at all?  What about therapy with his injurries?  Does his Dad go to any of his appointments? 

You can bring affidavits from family and friends stating the child lives with you primarily.  If you back that up with an affidavit from his daycare provider, or therapy or medical records showing you are the one who almost always brings him in, and that you're listed as the residential home on all thsoe records, then a judge will likely see through his claims. 

Be prepared, he probably will get some custody, maybe even more than you'd like, but I'd be surprised if he got primary. 

Does your son have any special needs right now?  Does Dad know how to care for them? 

prdmomnarmywife
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Document EVERYTHING !!!! Record him anytime he calls . Save all text ! & let him go to court .itll help in the long run , then everything will be in writing & he can't just disappear with your child .
brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Good luck.

mommI7777777
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

what are the text? i am going threw same thing can anyone indentifiy threating text?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)