Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Need Advice: Speaking to Lawyer

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

Well, I made the appointment. I am going this week to speak with a lawyer about custody and visitation rights and I would appreciate any advice you all can give before I go in!

I am 5 months pregnant with a little boy, never married to the babie's father, and because i have a strange fear that he is going to be a butt and fight me about everything, I am trying to get the head start by talking to a lawyer early on. But I have no idea of what my rights are, what his rights are, and things I should ask the lawyer. ANY advice you ladies can give would be appreciated. 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Not sure...good luck hun.

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It would be a good idea to google some standard custody/visitation orders to learn what the starting point might be. Custody/ visitation can be as general or as specific as you want. Specific is much better. If you have EVERYTHING you can think of in the order you won't have to go back to modify it.  My EX would cut the kids hair, ruin their clothes, pick them up late, drop them off early,  etc.  Technically if he showed up late, I could have told him come back next scheduled visit. But you have to be very careful because he can turn it around on you too. Once you have it all written up, read it over several times. Make sure there is no conflicts or errors.  Include what happens if one or both of you move to another school district, city, state...

flgirl12
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM

ok, thank you. This is helpful :)

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

It would be a good idea to google some standard custody/visitation orders to learn what the starting point might be. Custody/ visitation can be as general or as specific as you want. Specific is much better. If you have EVERYTHING you can think of in the order you won't have to go back to modify it.  My EX would cut the kids hair, ruin their clothes, pick them up late, drop them off early,  etc.  Technically if he showed up late, I could have told him come back next scheduled visit. But you have to be very careful because he can turn it around on you too. Once you have it all written up, read it over several times. Make sure there is no conflicts or errors.  Include what happens if one or both of you move to another school district, city, state...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN