Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I'm starting a full courseload on Monday. I'm taking 5 courses (18 credit hours) and my netbook has been overcharged twice now and it only lasts 45 min before going down to 50%. When I first bought it, it used to last 1hr 15 and it would only be down to 85% ish. I was told to get the Macbook Pro. 

I'm only looking at the 13 inch one, but I'm confused at some details...

There are two kinds, the regular kind and the one with retina display. I'm not really looking for anything fancy. I just want something that has a battery that lasts more than at LEAST 2 hours, and people swear theirs stays charged up to 80% with a couple hours of use and if they use it all day it can go up to 4 hours on the maximum performance (like high contrast, applications running, browsing on wifi, etc)

How do your Macbooks treat you? Also, is it better to go with the higher storage capacities? I know the basic 13 inch comes with 128 GB but there's a 13 inch with 256 as well. I just want something I can use Microsoft Word with and surf the web. I don't use it for any fancy music/photo/video editing.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Replies (11-17):
Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

LMFAO that kid hates your stinking guts. He has the biggest baby WTF face ever!

either that, or he's very confused. So cute!!!

Quoting happymommy1105:

Okay one more just for good measure!

Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

BTW, I don't mean he hates you. Daunte HATED the carseat for the first month of his life. Then once he frigured out carrides are good put to sleepers, he started accepting life in the carrier.laughing

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Quoting happymommy1105:

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM
He prolly thinks "Wtf did this crazy ass woman get me into now?" Haha.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

BTW, I don't mean he hates you. Daunte HATED the carseat for the first month of his life. Then once he frigured out carrides are good put to sleepers, he started accepting life in the carrier.laughing

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
allwritenow
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Okay, so even though that baby is absolutely the cutest thing I have seen in a long time, I'm going to respond to the original poster.

The battery life on any computer is going to depend on what you are doing with the computer. If you are on YouTube watching videos all day, or you are playing video games constantly, your battery is not going to last long. I have a MacBook, and I love it. After three and a half years, I can still go several hours on my battery as long as I am only in Word and on my classroom interface on the Internet. However, as soon as I start playing those Facebook games, or I have several active windows open at once, it depletes fairly quickly.

If you want to preserve your battery, you need to treat it right from the beginning. You want to run in ALL THE WAY down to nearly nothing on a regular basis and charge it all the way back up. If you are running it down to 80% then plugging it back in every time, it will wear out MUCH faster and you will need to replace the battery.

As far as the "retina display," I have no idea. Though as my eyes get older, I find that every little bit helps, especially where the computer is concerned. Storage capacity is not generally an issue if you are mainly working in Word documents. Storage is an issue with pictures and videos, and if you are doing lots of video editing.

And my last piece of advice--"Pages," the Mac solution to word processing, is not the best choice. I would spring for the Education edition of Office that Apple offers. I am a distance instructor in an online classroom, and I frequently can't open documents that my students post when they are written in Pages. That's my own personal opinion.

Keep in mind that Apple offers a discount to students and faculty--both through their online store and in person as long as you have your school id. It's not much, but it is something. If you go through their online store, go to "store" and then on the right hand side you will see an option that says "more stores." Click on Education Store. Good luck with your decision. I love my Mac!

Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Thank you very much! My university's bookstore does have the discount. It's like $1800 something for the 13 inch w/ retina display but I might just get the regular one because for some reason the ghz is a lot faster on the old ones. Does that matter too?

Quoting allwritenow:

Okay, so even though that baby is absolutely the cutest thing I have seen in a long time, I'm going to respond to the original poster.

The battery life on any computer is going to depend on what you are doing with the computer. If you are on YouTube watching videos all day, or you are playing video games constantly, your battery is not going to last long. I have a MacBook, and I love it. After three and a half years, I can still go several hours on my battery as long as I am only in Word and on my classroom interface on the Internet. However, as soon as I start playing those Facebook games, or I have several active windows open at once, it depletes fairly quickly.

If you want to preserve your battery, you need to treat it right from the beginning. You want to run in ALL THE WAY down to nearly nothing on a regular basis and charge it all the way back up. If you are running it down to 80% then plugging it back in every time, it will wear out MUCH faster and you will need to replace the battery.

As far as the "retina display," I have no idea. Though as my eyes get older, I find that every little bit helps, especially where the computer is concerned. Storage capacity is not generally an issue if you are mainly working in Word documents. Storage is an issue with pictures and videos, and if you are doing lots of video editing.

And my last piece of advice--"Pages," the Mac solution to word processing, is not the best choice. I would spring for the Education edition of Office that Apple offers. I am a distance instructor in an online classroom, and I frequently can't open documents that my students post when they are written in Pages. That's my own personal opinion.

Keep in mind that Apple offers a discount to students and faculty--both through their online store and in person as long as you have your school id. It's not much, but it is something. If you go through their online store, go to "store" and then on the right hand side you will see an option that says "more stores." Click on Education Store. Good luck with your decision. I love my Mac!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't have a mac but here's a bump for ya!

Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Thanks!

Quoting easinpc:

I don't have a mac but here's a bump for ya!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)