Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Divorce

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am a single mom with two boys. my oldest is two and my youngest is one. My husband left me for another women going on almost two years now. We haven't spoken or seen each other in about a year now, and he will not sign the papers I sent to him. I was trying to file for divorce on my own because I can not afford to pay all the money that attorneys ask for. What should I do?toddler tantrum

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Take him to court again, I can't remember what it's called but you can file a motion for him to give you an answer on the divorce, if he doesn't the court will in turn issue a judgement in the case, after  a period of time after the judgement is entered and he doesn't do anything to oppose it, the judge will grant you a divorce at least that is how I have seen it worked in NY. If he does come to court to oppose  it, you can ask the judge for meditation to work our the details for the divorce, and once you have him court it "should" be a little easier to iron on points in the divorce. But I hope you have him on child support already, once you filed for divorce you were entitled to get some financial assistance from him, good luck hon.  Best advice is try to make friends with the clerk at family court , they should be able to give him some advice on what paperwork to file out to get this divorce moving. 

bstlovedao
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Thank you

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Call the police and have him arrrested. devil

koalasami
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I think it depends on what state you are in.  Is there not legal aid in your area.  I was able to get a pro bono attorney for my divorce and she was great.  He did not have an attorney so it was pretty simple for her but she was there to make sure everything went well.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure but sounds like the first poster had a good idea. Good mix and welcome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

This sounds like great advice!  Good luck!

Quoting victoriahearts:

Take him to court again, I can't remember what it's called but you can file a motion for him to give you an answer on the divorce, if he doesn't the court will in turn issue a judgement in the case, after  a period of time after the judgement is entered and he doesn't do anything to oppose it, the judge will grant you a divorce at least that is how I have seen it worked in NY. If he does come to court to oppose  it, you can ask the judge for meditation to work our the details for the divorce, and once you have him court it "should" be a little easier to iron on points in the divorce. But I hope you have him on child support already, once you filed for divorce you were entitled to get some financial assistance from him, good luck hon.  Best advice is try to make friends with the clerk at family court , they should be able to give him some advice on what paperwork to file out to get this divorce moving. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Been divorced myself for just over a year.  Ex cheated on me, too.  Parents gave me the funds to acquire an attorney.  Good thing for that.  I'm now dealing with the Chapter 7 filing deadbeat.  Forced him back to court (next month) for nonpayment of divorce settlement funds.  Real loser.  Great advice from Victoria. 

Welcome to the group!  ; )

happy57
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM

There  are resources that many states provide for help.Also call united way and ask for info.Also MHMR might have some resources.When I filed I went to the teacher's credit union and deposited a little money and got a small loan.When you get this far part of your settlement is for your ex to pay your legal bills.So join a credit union where you live.

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

File a motion for the judge to compel him to sign the papers. After a certain amount of time, the divorce can be granted even without the ex's signature.

FabMomma2BnB
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I am a paralegal. I work for an attorney that, among other things, handles divorces. As other posters have stated, laws regarding divorce vary from state to state. I can tell you this for sure, it only takes one of you wanting a divorce to get one. I definitely recommend that you explore your options with legal aid and attorneys so that you can make sure that you paperwork is prepared and filed properly and that your rights and best interests are protected.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)