Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Baby's last name

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter has her fathers last name not mine. we were only seventeen when we had her and of course we thought we would be together forever. Now he isn't in the picture. We live on the other side of the United States from him and he doesnt do anything to help me. He calls and asks to talk to her daughter but, she is only one so doesn't really know how to work a phone yet. Anyways... I would really like her to have my last name but, I'm not really sure how to do it. I don't know if I need his consent? O is their any way I could do it with out his consent? Has anyone had this problem before?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FabMomma2BnB
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Laws about this vary from state to state. I suggest you contact an attorney in your area.

Quoting Mommycowgirl:

My daughter has her fathers last name not mine. we were only seventeen when we had her and of course we thought we would be together forever. Now he isn't in the picture. We live on the other side of the United States from him and he doesnt do anything to help me. He calls and asks to talk to her daughter but, she is only one so doesn't really know how to work a phone yet. Anyways... I would really like her to have my last name but, I'm not really sure how to do it. I don't know if I need his consent? O is their any way I could do it with out his consent? Has anyone had this problem before?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

In OK you would have to have his permission if his name is on the bc. Otherwise you would have to get his parental rights terminated and that's very difficult to do and from what you said you wouldn't have grounds to do it anyway.

Mommycowgirl
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Thank you for your advice.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I know in CA you have to have father's consent and you have to post notice in paper (just like regular adult name change). If he is in the picture at all you would have a hard time getting a judge to grant the request if he contests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this
It's easier to add then take off maybe hyphenate and only use your half?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommycowgirl
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

That is a good idea. I didn't even think of adding my last name. I am deffinatly going to look into it thank you. 

Christine9576
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Sorry, I refused to give my son his biological father's last name when he was born cuz I already "knew" we wouldn't last (due to his pot use), plus I didn't want any confusion in my son's school years. If U have custody though, why don't you go to your local city hall and get info on name changing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Childofares
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM

That is a great suggestion. I never even thought of that. I'd like to do that as it gets frustrating at my sons school and doctors that we have different last names

Quoting LifeCafe42:

It's easier to add then take off maybe hyphenate and only use your half?

OneofaKIM
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM
I got sh!t from friends for choosing to give my ds my last name. I don't regret it. Good luck to you.
HarlowMonroe85
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I live in Missouri, I've been separated from my husband for 4 years(Nov 2009), yet due to far too many circumstances to explain, I'm still married. So when I found out I was pregnant in may 2010 and that the father #1 had lied about his vasectomy, my nuva ring had expired, and the father said from the moment I told him about the pregnancy, he wasn't in a place in his life for a child! So the name game started! My father left my mother after 7 yrs of marriage while she was pregnant with me. I've still never met the man, so my maiden name was out. It wasnt irrelevant enough for me to name my baby after grandpas unknown blood line, didn't feel right using my husband's name for a child that wasn't his, baby's father wasn't involved so his name was pointless (not even on her BC ) so I carried my child 9 months trying to decide a name she will carry with her for life. The day of labor i asked the secretary to give me a while when filling out legal papers at the hospital, and birth certificate ect. The minute my daughter was born it hit me! I called and asked for permission from my family first, and I then gave my daughter my great grandmothers last name. That woman raised me, was an absolute saint in my eyes. And had passed away the previous March. I still feel like I made the best decision. Good luck and think hard!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)