Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I need to get back in school

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 21 Replies

I am not working right now, left my job because I couldn't afford day care and I kept getting dropped for the wait list for aide for day care. Right when I left my grandma went into the hospital and when she got out i took care of her because I was the only one available to since I wasn't working. Now I am trying to get back to work at a late night job from like 11-4 or something. 

I also need to move out of my mom's place and working like that, I wont be able to because I can't leave the kids alone, duh! so I have been looking into what I can do and fast. There is a nursing assistant program at the technical school here and it is like 165 hours and they offer daycare for students during the day, by the time I can start DS will be in school, OR if my mom quits her second job I can go in the evening and after class go straight to work. It is only $945 and I am hoping that I get my income tax this year because then I can go ahead and pay that and not have to worry about it. Can I do that? Can I just write them a check for all the fees? I don't know that they will let me in after fasfa shows them that I am in default... but if I could just pay up front... would they let me? If I can start working before spring then I can have money saved and apply for the spring classes..... idk... anyone have any knowledge of this stuff? 

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I don't have knowledge of this but I wish you the best!!!  I am in a similar situation.  I have no sitter for my ds, and I can't afford daycare.  I am hardly working now, and I had to drop out of law school.  I love being home with my son, but feeling like a bum sucks big time.

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

That is exactly how I feel, like a bum. I have a plan for the daycare if my mom quits her second job like she says she is going to in a few months and if I can start after DS starts school, then I can go to night school and then work late at night after class then. it is just a matter of the money for school. I guess I am going to have to go up there one day soon and talk to them. I am not doing anything till income taxes come through. 

Quoting Ridingsolo:

I don't have knowledge of this but I wish you the best!!!  I am in a similar situation.  I have no sitter for my ds, and I can't afford daycare.  I am hardly working now, and I had to drop out of law school.  I love being home with my son, but feeling like a bum sucks big time.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Start where you can in healthcare most jobs offer education they want you to keep advancing. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

What is the purpose of moving out of moms house, as long as you have a roof over your head, maybe some food too for the both of you?

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM
The fasfa is used for student loans/ grants. If you can private pay then it wont matter if in default of previous loans. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Yes you can just write a check for tuition and fees.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and contact the loan servicer and ask about getting out of default. Usually with 6 months of payments you are eligible for financial aid again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma1708
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM

There isn't enough room, my mom can't really support us all, and there is a lot of tension and fighting between myself and my sister. Even if I was working, we can't really afford the place we are living and it is just digging us into a deeper hole. She refuses to move out of the apartment complex we are in because it is right across the street from my sister's high school and she can walk there. I can understand that aspect of it, but we can't afford to live in this part of town, we need to move somewhere else and she wont. 

While living with her I see none of my child support because my account is always in the hole and that gets eaten up. I just applied to start getting that on the cs debit card so that doesn't happen. With out letting her use my child support, I can get everything I need for the kids and even build up a savings for them like I want to. It will make things a hell of a lot harder but it isn't my money, or my mom's. That money is for the kids. It is to make sure they have everything they need. 

Living with her doesn't ensure we have food. Even with her working 2 jobs we can't make ends meet for all of the reasons above, and buying food is hard. I am trying to apply for fs but i need info from her since we live together and she will never help me because is working and when she isn't she is always doing something like going out to eat with my sister who doesn't live with us or other things like that. I just need to take control of my finances, my life, my home. My mom is a big pack rat. She is border line hoarder and I can't live in it. I am trying to take care of the house, keep everything clean, no one keeps anything clean after I clean it up and then there are tubs and other things packed against the walls (they don't intured on anything else, it isn't like what you see of TV). I hate living like this. I need out.

Quoting brieri:

What is the purpose of moving out of moms house, as long as you have a roof over your head, maybe some food too for the both of you?

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM

that is my plan as soon as I start working. 

Quoting tyfry7496:

Oh and contact the loan servicer and ask about getting out of default. Usually with 6 months of payments you are eligible for financial aid again.

momma1708
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

you have no idea how excited I am to hear this! I really hope that I get my income tax money this year. I haven't gotten a letter saying that they are going to take it again so here's to hoping! 

Quoting conniejo75:

The fasfa is used for student loans/ grants. If you can private pay then it wont matter if in default of previous loans. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)