Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Explanon/Implanon

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

Does or has anyone used it? My 16 yo dd has a 2 month old and had it implanted today. I was just wondering what people's opinions are of it. The dr. said it takes about a month to start working, but she read online it only takes a week. She's going to use condoms for a month just to be on the safe side. She's aware of the possible bleeding or not having a period. Are there any other side effects we don't about?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Kissybratzmom
by Steph on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Bump. No idea. I have the IUD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SharonHernandez
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I've had it for the full 3 years, and I'm getting it removed on the 26th. And I'm so happy I've bleed like 90% of the time. I had went back several times to either get some medicines to stop the bleeding or have it removed but nothing ever worked and they didn't want to take it out. Idk if I'll get another one to replace this one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
labrax
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I used jadelle, it's Norplant II and no longer sold in the US. I had no problems with it. I wore it for 3 years but just took it out last week cOs I ignored I wasn't having regular sex, so why continue.

I understand implanon works same as jadelle since they are progestin rods.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Is that like an iud?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheree1985
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Alot of bleeding had it taken out after 4 mths
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tbc136
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

It has a different effect on everyone. From my experience I can say thati had it for all 3 yrs which was the limit. I gained more weight than when I was pregnant. My period totally disappeared which I thought was okay because I saw periods as a total waste of time and I hate it.... Well after the 3 yrs, I have lost no weight, the doctor told me I have PCOS because it was to strong for me and there were too many hormones nd was put on medication to provoke my periods to come. I can tell u that when I first got it I was young and thought of it as awesome,but now that I see everything that it has done to my body I regret it more than anything I wish I had taken it out from the get go....but oh we'll too late. I wouldn't get it again,I don't recommend it, not worth all the side effects it had on me, and way too many hormones. 

Then again every body is different! Good luck 

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
No, its a tube the size of a matchstick thats inserted just under the skin under the upper arm. It releases a certain amount of hormones each day to keep the eggs away. Its good for 3 years.

Quoting MeeshMom:

Is that like an iud?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)