Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do I explain to my girls that I have to surgery

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 13 Replies
I have Nuerofibromatosis. And when I was 11 & 12 I had a C1-C2 fusion. Fast forward to now I was rear ended we were stopped waiting for a expediting fire truck to pass us.and the man who
Hit is was going 50 and never hit his breaks. and now I have a broke wire and we are waiting on a MRI to tell if there is more damage.so my question is how do I explain to my 12&13 yr old that I'm going to have another scar and real short hair and will be in the hospital for awhile.
Any help would be great. feel free to answer here or email me at im2xblessed@gmail.com
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mytrueloveS
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I don't know, I have never been your position.  I guess I would just tell them flat out, no sugar coating anything.  The best of luck to you and hope all goes well.  

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM
They are old enough to understand. Just tell them you have to have a serious operation and just answer their questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sj218
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Why can't you explain it to them the same way you explained it to us? At their ages, I don't understand the concern. I'm sure they'll just want to know the details, like when you'll be having the surgery, when you'll be home and what the consequences of the surgery will be. I would just present it as a fact. If you make it scary, they will be scared. You have a condition that you had surgery for when you were their age, because of the accident you have to have another surgery. Then give them the outline.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
im_2_xblessed
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I guess that would be best Ty for your replies
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM
My thoughts too. They're not little kids. They are old enough to understand and old enough to help you during recovery.

Quoting conniejo75:

They are old enough to understand. Just tell them you have to have a serious operation and just answer their questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I agree, at their age the would both understand if you were to simply sit down with them explain the situation, explain what is going to be done to you, how long you think you will be in the help, who will care for them while you are hospitalized and what they can do help while you are in the hospital and once you get home. Best of luck on speaking with them but also your surgery. 

Quoting conniejo75:

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Hugs!

labrax
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM

God be with you. Hugs

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Simple Simon says, to them "I'm having surgery".  The kids may look at you perplexed, when they ask questions, answer them.  If they have to stay with someone while your in the hospital tell them who they will be staying with for awhile.  If they ask if they can see you at the hospital, tell them after your' in a room where you can accept visitors. 

im_2_xblessed
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Thanks you guys are awesome! Thanks for the support
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN