Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you file your taxes?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you file?

Options:

In office

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Do you file your taxes online or do you go into an office? Why do you choose one over the other? Did you start out one way and end up doing the opposite? If you file yours through a tax office does it cost alot?

I file mine online. I have always filed my taxes online except one time. I filed using H&R Block and they charged me $300 SO I said never again lol I use TaxAct.com and it's $14.95 to file my state taxes, free to file my federal or vice versa (can't ever remember). Everything is self explanatory and you really can't screw up lol  So what about you? Online or in the office? Do you have big plans for your return or do you plan on putting most of in savings?

I plan on splitting it with my mom, buying a few things my son and I want/need and the rest of it is going into savings.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I fill my taxes in the office, I drop off all my paperwork and my accountant does the work. I did online filling before I got married and it turned out I had missed a lot of deductions because of how the system uses yes or no answer when things aren't that straight forward, after leaving so much money on the table on pass returns I simply do the in office to avoid penalties and lost of deductions. I have not had a problem since I started doing this and I feel more secure knowing if I'm ever audited my accountant has a reputation of outstanding work and has never had one issue with his filings.

MissTuree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I used H&R Block the first few years because I wasn't confident enough in myself to do them. Now I do mine and my so's online. This year I will only be doing his though since I didn't work this year.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

When I was married we went to an accountant. I use turbo tax now. 

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I work in a CPA firm and we do taxes so I do them here for free. It's worth having a CPA do them So you don't miss on tax savings like claimin child care expenses and if your medical expenses exceed a certain percentage of your earnings toucan write that off. Just to name a few.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I use efile. Its never wrong and easy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Why did you switch?

Quoting owl0210:

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

It's not as complicated anymore since selling our house and we alternate the child tax credit plus I don't want to pay $100 for someone else to do my taxes.  

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Why did you switch?

Quoting owl0210:

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Makes sense. I thought you were going to say something awful like well the acct. is now my child's stepmom or something lol

Quoting owl0210:

It's not as complicated anymore since selling our house and we alternate the child tax credit plus I don't want to pay $100 for someone else to do my taxes.  

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Why did you switch?

Quoting owl0210:

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea I efile mine as well. Plus TaxAct has a stoplight system where it'll tell you in red, green or yellow what you are doing right or wrong.

Quoting Cenedra64:

I use efile. Its never wrong and easy

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Turbo Tax! In the office they take too much from you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)