Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you file your taxes?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you file?

Options:

In office

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Do you file your taxes online or do you go into an office? Why do you choose one over the other? Did you start out one way and end up doing the opposite? If you file yours through a tax office does it cost alot?

I file mine online. I have always filed my taxes online except one time. I filed using H&R Block and they charged me $300 SO I said never again lol I use TaxAct.com and it's $14.95 to file my state taxes, free to file my federal or vice versa (can't ever remember). Everything is self explanatory and you really can't screw up lol  So what about you? Online or in the office? Do you have big plans for your return or do you plan on putting most of in savings?

I plan on splitting it with my mom, buying a few things my son and I want/need and the rest of it is going into savings.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (21-24):
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Oh wow. Did he get any time for it? Glad you kept up with your papers because you would have been in some really hot water!

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Yea thats true but being married to a tax agent could be kind of bad couldn't it? I mean since he knows about taxes what if he decided to lie about his taxes. Wouldn't you have been held responsible as well? Like because you are (were) married to him?

Quoting just4ds10ee:

I figure why pay someone else to do what I can do for myself... Turbo Tax, HR Block online and Tax Act walk you through the process. You can read a W-2 yourself so why pay someone else unless you have complex taxes, own a business and have to do lots of itemizing why bother when u can pocket that money  :) The ex and I have used Turbo Tax since 2003  when it first came out... plus I was married to a tax analyst ( the ex) so why pay a tax agent if you have one living with you...

Wow funny you should  mention that... he did under represent his IRA distribution in 2009...while we were still married...oweing $12,700 with interest, fees....well there is this thing called innocent spouse document you can file with the IRS...I submitted my disagreement  in the form of a 2 page 13 entry form including my IRA statement , my leave and earning statement for 2009 as well as my TSP document for 2009 and let it go to Appeals and was granted full relief!!! It is all about knowing what to do with the proof you need when the time comes...all that was without the help of a tax attorney also...

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Oh wow. Did he get any time for it? Glad you kept up with your papers because you would have been in some really hot water!

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Yea thats true but being married to a tax agent could be kind of bad couldn't it? I mean since he knows about taxes what if he decided to lie about his taxes. Wouldn't you have been held responsible as well? Like because you are (were) married to him?

Quoting just4ds10ee:

I figure why pay someone else to do what I can do for myself... Turbo Tax, HR Block online and Tax Act walk you through the process. You can read a W-2 yourself so why pay someone else unless you have complex taxes, own a business and have to do lots of itemizing why bother when u can pocket that money  :) The ex and I have used Turbo Tax since 2003  when it first came out... plus I was married to a tax analyst ( the ex) so why pay a tax agent if you have one living with you...

Wow funny you should  mention that... he did under represent his IRA distribution in 2009...while we were still married...oweing $12,700 with interest, fees....well there is this thing called innocent spouse document you can file with the IRS...I submitted my disagreement  in the form of a 2 page 13 entry form including my IRA statement , my leave and earning statement for 2009 as well as my TSP document for 2009 and let it go to Appeals and was granted full relief!!! It is all about knowing what to do with the proof you need when the time comes...all that was without the help of a tax attorney also...

No,  the IRS gives you and opportunity to pay it back... the people who go to jail refuse or somehow is unwilling or unable to come up with a re-payment plan or have no assests for the IRS to seize.. he should have known better he knows how organized I am and since I am a federal employee also I have assess to the same information he is ( ex IRS tax analyst)

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh wow. So it was a good thing you knew what you were doing. Did he ever pay all the money back?

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting just4ds10ee:

No,  the IRS gives you and opportunity to pay it back... the people who go to jail refuse or somehow is unwilling or unable to come up with a re-payment plan or have no assests for the IRS to seize.. he should have known better he knows how organized I am and since I am a federal employee also I have assess to the same information he is ( ex IRS tax analyst)

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Oh wow. So it was a good thing you knew what you were doing. Did he ever pay all the money back?

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting just4ds10ee:

I am not sure... we do not communicate except to talk about our daughter... he doesn't think I even know about it.... but the IRS notifies both people when it is a joint tax return...but his SSN is the one on the letter from the IRS. He also got 30 days to disagree with what I said ..but of course he needed proof to dispute what I told the IRS...but of course his SSN was the one they were after anyway because I did not take enough money from my IRA distribution in 2009 to even owe that much back... I was willing to go to tax court if  I had to...I had already printed up the dispute paperwork.  What some people do not realize you do not have to agree with the IRS unless you actually did something wrong

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN