Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Last name question...need help!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay so when my baby girl was born i gave her my last name. The father had signed the AOP form to show that he is the father. We dont get along at all and he said when i file for child support he will be changing her last name. Can he change her last name to just his or will they make him do a hyphenated last name with both of our last names? Oh and i live in Texas idk if this changes anything.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Stephd710
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM
You can't change the kids last name without both of you agreeing....or taking eachother to court. So he can't just "do it".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youngmommy413
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Okay well i do not agree so he would have to take me to court? I heard all he has to do is pay for it to be changed and it will be. Is there any way the judge would not let her last name be changed?

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Yes he has to pay got court costs and IF the judge approves the change. In Wisconsin it costs at least $500 to change a name. Do you have documentation on how often he visits? How much money he gives you? Phone calls, etc? Showing a lack of involvement may help your case. Contact an attorney in your state for accurate information and laws.

Quoting youngmommy413:

Okay well i do not agree so he would have to take me to court? I heard all he has to do is pay for it to be changed and it will be. Is there any way the judge would not let her last name be changed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Make sure you get a lawyer.  If he has a decent lawyer and you don't, you'll most likely lose. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Quoting Stephd710:

You can't change the kids last name without both of you agreeing....or taking eachother to court. So he can't just "do it".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM
He would have to file specific paperwork for a legal name change, and in fl it starts at $500 I think. And that's if both parties agree.

The only thing the court/judge could order is that he be put on the birth cert if he isn't already on there, but that's if you guys go through family court for custody and all that. In my case the judge ruled 50/50 visitation, but that my ex not be listed on the bc as the father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

It doesnt matter what you heard.  NO judge is just going to be like "Oh you want the name changed....ok then."  No, wont happen.  Name changing is a big deal and there is lots of paperwork.  If you dont agree, it wont happen.  End of story. If he did take you to court, he would have to come up with several good reasons why it would benefit the child to have her last name changed.  Not just because "he wants to." 

Quoting youngmommy413:

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

This.

Quoting Stephd710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN