Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support Court

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 12 Replies
I go to court tomorrow for child Support. i get assistance from the state so i wanted to know what goes on there? Me and my daughters father was never together. She has lived with me since.birth. i just wanna b prepared and know what to expect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM

You sent in your papers right?  Let your attorney do the talking if you have one, otherwise, be prepared what you are going to talk about - which is what you wrote.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM
If you are on assistance then the state gets the child support to pay them back. Unless it is more than the state gives you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clasane90
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM
What papers ?

Quoting brieri:

You sent in your papers right?  Let your attorney do the talking if you have one, otherwise, be prepared what you are going to talk about - which is what you wrote.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newfound09
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM

First off it depends on what kind of assistance. If you get TANF, the state will take back child support and future child support in order to reimburse themselves for the expense. WIC, Medicaid, and Foodstamps don't effect child support. In Indiana, you go in front of the judge (I always have an attorney), he will ask questions regarding who has had the child when and who has been bearing the expenses of the child. Here they ask for prior year tax returns and income before you even step into the court house. The state already has a formula for child support laid out. 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quoting Clasane90:

What papers ?

Quoting brieri:

You are going to court - Unprepared?  You or your attorney did not file any paperwork with the court?  ummmm when did you find out your going to court? 

Clasane90
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
No because i didn't file for child Support since i get food stamps cash and Medicaid the state.automatically goes after the father. Its a court hearing for him and I was told to go just in case i have to testify. i have my daughter 24/7 i pay for EVERYTHING.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM
If the state is doing it they would have been the one's to file. They represent the children and the state...not her

Quoting brieri:

Quoting Clasane90:

What papers ?

Quoting brieri:

You are going to court - Unprepared?  You or your attorney did not file any paperwork with the court?  ummmm when did you find out your going to court? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Quoting Clasane90:

No because i didn't file for child Support since i get food stamps cash and Medicaid the state.automatically goes after the father. Its a court hearing for him and I was told to go just in case i have to testify. i have my daughter 24/7 i pay for EVERYTHING

I'd say then to contact an attorney for any questions you have. You may be paying for everything right now, but he'll have obligation in helping to pay his portion back to the state.  Men think they get what they rightfully not deserve.  It takes two to tangle. 

Clasane90
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I don't get it lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m3ks
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM
You will go before a judge or mediator and since you have state benefits they already have your income figured up. They will ask him for his proof of income and job information. They will crunch the numbers and come up with an amount for support. Most judges now require the info to withdraw it from his paycheck and most states are issuing a debit card for the payments. If he doesn't show up they'll rescheduled and if he still doesn't they will send the sheriff to pick him up. If he is stupid he won't bring his job info so it will have to get continued.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)