Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Need advice! Should I let him go?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi Ladies! Im new to CM, loving it so far! So I have a question about my 10 yr old ds going to camp with his school in a couple of months. Its time to sign up but I really dont think I want him to go. I told him no from the beginning of the school year but now that its time to sign up or not, hes making me feel guilty about it. He says everyone else in his class is going but him (dnt know if thats true or not but thats what hes saying). My ds has ADHD and is on medication. His medication does not last all day and he gets extremely hyper and doesnt listen/pay attention once medication wears off. Plus I dont like the idea of my kid being gone for 2 days with teachers/chaperones that I dont know. You never know what can happen these days, I've heard stories of kids getting kidnapped, molested, ect at camp. I just really dont think I should let him go, what do you guys think? Would you let your 10 yr old (4th grade) go?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
molly_ann
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Is there any way u could meet and get to know these ppl beforehand? I'd let him go but would stress the importance of his meds and ADHD. But, this ur call :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HyperMom38
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am not sure- I think it depends on the kid.  My DD has ADD, possibly ADHD and I know it would be hard for me to let her go.  One- because though she thinks something sounds good/fun, if it doesn't go "her way" then she wants an instant out.  Obviously he cannot just come home if he doesn't like it.  Two- these are not easy going kids we have so anything can set them off when not on meds.  If you are really not sure, I would talk to the teacher about it.  Maybe YOU could chaperone??? Or maybe one of the chaperones is someone you know and trust?  Ask the teacher some questions and then decide.  If your gut is still telling you no after speaking to her, then follow your instincts.

breebree04
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

They havent announced who the chaperones are yet but I started a new job this year so I havent been to his school for any parties/events so I dont know any of the other moms/dads. Ive met his teacher only a couple of times. I would have liked to be one of the chaperones and then that way I wouldnt have to worry about him going but Ive only been at this new job for a few months so I cant take time off.

Quoting molly_ann:

Is there any way u could meet and get to know these ppl beforehand? I'd let him go but would stress the importance of his meds and ADHD. But, this ur call :)

abusednotbroken
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I'm halfway through reading and I'm going to say that you need to stick to your guns. You backing out now encourages his behavior of trying to make you feel guilty. Really, he shouldn't be pestering you after you gave him your answer. I read through the rest. You don't need to justify it one way or the other. Even if your gut told you no, there's a reason. You're not being overbearing or putting your son in a bubble. Stick to your guns.

breebree04
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

These are all things I am thinking about too. I wish I could chaperone but cant because I just started a new job and they are going during the week. I was thinking about talking to his teacher and finding out who the chaperones are. Thanks for the advice!

Quoting HyperMom38:

I am not sure- I think it depends on the kid.  My DD has ADD, possibly ADHD and I know it would be hard for me to let her go.  One- because though she thinks something sounds good/fun, if it doesn't go "her way" then she wants an instant out.  Obviously he cannot just come home if he doesn't like it.  Two- these are not easy going kids we have so anything can set them off when not on meds.  If you are really not sure, I would talk to the teacher about it.  Maybe YOU could chaperone??? Or maybe one of the chaperones is someone you know and trust?  Ask the teacher some questions and then decide.  If your gut is still telling you no after speaking to her, then follow your instincts.

breebree04
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking this :) thanks

Quoting abusednotbroken:

I'm halfway through reading and I'm going to say that you need to stick to your guns. You backing out now encourages his behavior of trying to make you feel guilty. Really, he shouldn't be pestering you after you gave him your answer. I read through the rest. You don't need to justify it one way or the other. Even if your gut told you no, there's a reason. You're not being overbearing or putting your son in a bubble. Stick to your guns.

breebree04
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

BUMP!

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

have a nice weekend.   Yes, this is a wonderful opportunity for children. 

plprincess78
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I'd talk to his teacher before hand and make sure she understands what to expect and to ensure he gets his meds but I wouldn't stop him from going.  Since its camp its possible they will be so busy anyway that maybe he'll be better behaved in general because its new and excititng for him?

I've done this before with my daughter who is also ADHD...As long as they knew what to expect and they had the numbers to contact me if need be.  I was nervous as well..but other that one meltdown in which I was able to talk to her on the phone and she calmed down she had a great time.

Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.  ~Rabindranath Tagore

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

yes i let my kids go for a week to science camp in 5th grade. ifg it is sponsored by school, id let him go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)