Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

private CS agency?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 13 Replies
A couple months ago I saw a post on CM, not sure which group, where someone recommended a private CS agency. The agency paid you the arrears upfront then went after the ex for it and the collection charges. Does anyone know which company this is? I'd like to talk to them since my ex hasn't paid anything in 16 months and doesn't look like he plans on it.

I've been doing OK on my own but my savings has been cleaned out. My car has a lot of miles on it and I'm afraid if it breaks down I can't repair it. CSE in my state is a joke, they just lower the order. My ex is only $5600 in the hole and unemployed, but his gf supports him. If someone was suing him for money and not just lowering his order, he'd be more inclined to get off his ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robsessed98
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I've never heard of that, but as long as their collection fee wasn't too much (over 20%), I'd probably do it.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Never heard of it.  Good luck whatever you do.

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

never heard of it either.. I've heard of them jailing people for being that behind.. suspending their licenses, garnishing wages, and the like.. 

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Putting him in jail would be pointless. He'd waste money on bail and I'd still never see it. He doesn't have a job or car so garnishing his wages wouldn't work and suspending his DL wouldn't affect him. Going through CSE would mean taking a lot of time off work and ultimately because he's unemployed his order would get lowered. I don't want his order lowered then have to go back to court and fight to get it raised again.

Quoting jessi2girls:

never heard of it either.. I've heard of them jailing people for being that behind.. suspending their licenses, garnishing wages, and the like.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I can't find the one someone posted about. The agencies I've found have high collection fees, typically 30%. I don't want to pay a fee that high, I'm not the asshole who is behind LOL.

Quoting Robsessed98:

I've never heard of that, but as long as their collection fee wasn't too much (over 20%), I'd probably do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I would not do it. You said yourself he's not working, how would another agency get money out if him? Stick CSE in your county. Arrears add up with interest. Also if he goes to jail they can make him look for a job. Unemployment should automatically take child support out up to 50% of his check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM
CSE will cost me more in lost wages than they'd collect. By going through them, he has the opportunity to lower his order. Then I have to go back to court over and over to get it raised should he get off his ass and work. He gets no unemployment to take - he was fired for not showing up to work during the base period in our state. If a bill collector is on his ass rather than the state agency who offers him 25 ways to get out of it, he'll be inclined to pay up.

Quoting tyfry7496:

I would not do it. You said yourself he's not working, how would another agency get money out if him? Stick CSE in your county. Arrears add up with interest. Also if he goes to jail they can make him look for a job. Unemployment should automatically take child support out up to 50% of his check.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Why would u miss work? They just enforce an order u already have. I had to miss maybe 2 hours of work for the initial appt. And that was only because I didn't file immediately since he was psying at first.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

CSE will cost me more in lost wages than they'd collect. By going through them, he has the opportunity to lower his order. Then I have to go back to court over and over to get it raised should he get off his ass and work. He gets no unemployment to take - he was fired for not showing up to work during the base period in our state. If a bill collector is on his ass rather than the state agency who offers him 25 ways to get out of it, he'll be inclined to pay up.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I found this...
http://www.supportcollectors.com

Did search for child support collection agency
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM
My coworker has to miss work every single time she has to fill out a paper and for numerous hearings which her ex never shows up and the judge reschedules. She has 2 kids and is at the CSE office at least twice a month for several hours at a time. They don't make appointments and just closed down another office so ours is slammed. And in a place your car is likely to get broken in to and you might get shot.

Quoting conniejo75:

Why would u miss work? They just enforce an order u already have. I had to miss maybe 2 hours of work for the initial appt. And that was only because I didn't file immediately since he was psying at first.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting tyfry7496:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN