Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Job...

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 14 Replies

I've been separated from my husband for almost a year and a half now.  Before my daughter (age 4) was born I was an IT Tech in Southern Cali.  When I was 8 months prego we moved to WA so that I could take care of my grandmother, she passed away then for about 6 months I was a stay-at-home mom till the separation.  I know have been working at Subway, making barely over minimum wage.  I've been looking for other work, but even though I've put in over 50 job applications I haven't got one call back.

To top this off I have state daycare that is only Mon-Fri from 7-5:30 and no parents or grandparents or really anyone to help watch my daughter.  He dad takes her 2 days a week, but I never know when till a couple days before, and it's usually a Weds-Thurs or Tues-Weds or something like that.

Anyways my question, does anyone have any advice on how I can find a better job with good hours.  One that I can actually support my daughter and me on???

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

welcomehave a nice weekend 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Welcome keep applying try temp agencies that's where I got my start
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I don't know, I started my own business for that same reason.  I have my own hours now.  Try a bank teller? 

shudderette
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this

idk, got the same problem. if you figure it out let me know :)

Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Do you have any sales experience?  Commission based jobs can be good. 

Are you getting child support?  If not, you should be!

I don't have help either; it's tough.  Can you consider moving closer to family? 

Good luck!

CryMAd
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I get $200 a month, and that doesn't go very far.  My parents are in Cali, I HATE Cali, lived there for 5 years, it's where I met my daughters father, and got outa there as fast as I could!!!  I had a great job there though, but now in order to move I have to have my ex-husbands permission to move his daughter.

It's frusterating!!!  I've applied at EVERY bank in a 40 mile radious and nothing!!  My job only pays about $900 a month + child support, and I'm barely hanging in there!!!

Quoting Ridingsolo:

I don't have help either; it's tough.  Can you consider moving closer to family? 

Good luck!

Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I'm so sorry. I hope that you get something soon. In the meantime, can you ask your parents or some other family to you financially?

Quoting CryMAd:

I get $200 a month, and that doesn't go very far.  My parents are in Cali, I HATE Cali, lived there for 5 years, it's where I met my daughters father, and got outa there as fast as I could!!!  I had a great job there though, but now in order to move I have to have my ex-husbands permission to move his daughter.

It's frusterating!!!  I've applied at EVERY bank in a 40 mile radious and nothing!!  My job only pays about $900 a month + child support, and I'm barely hanging in there!!!

Quoting Ridingsolo:

Good luck!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Childofares
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I agree with the poster up above. I had to go through temp agencies for a while until I managed to snag a daytime position at Menards that paid me pretty well.

wigglesmomma22
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I know it won't help much, but you could look at part time jobs that you can take you child with you ( a local gym in there daycare).  Also, you might want to have someone look at your resume.  I used to be an HR Director and I can tell you some resumes are horrid.  Personally, I would use either bullet point format or paragraph form (I prefer bullet point).  Don't leave a ton of white space on it.  Make it look professional.  Definitely do a follow up call.  Often times resumes get shuffled to the bottom and HR wouldn't think to call if you didn't initiate it.  Just my two cents...hope that helps.

CryMAd
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I've wanted to try a Temp Agency, but I'm afraid of loosing my current job for a temp one and then not having anything...

Also, my parents are both disabled, so they don't have anything to help out with.  I get my bills paid and we have food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)