Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I've been separated from my husband for almost a year and a half now.  Before my daughter (age 4) was born I was an IT Tech in Southern Cali.  When I was 8 months prego we moved to WA so that I could take care of my grandmother, she passed away then for about 6 months I was a stay-at-home mom till the separation.  I know have been working at Subway, making barely over minimum wage.  I've been looking for other work, but even though I've put in over 50 job applications I haven't got one call back.

To top this off I have state daycare that is only Mon-Fri from 7-5:30 and no parents or grandparents or really anyone to help watch my daughter.  He dad takes her 2 days a week, but I never know when till a couple days before, and it's usually a Weds-Thurs or Tues-Weds or something like that.

Anyways my question, does anyone have any advice on how I can find a better job with good hours.  One that I can actually support my daughter and me on???

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (11-14):
mdholt1974
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I just wanted to share a fun work from home job. I have partnered with the leading health and wellness company working about 10 hours per week, setting up customer accounts when my daughter is sleeping. If you would like more information I'd be happy to share. Leave a message with your email address!

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

In NY there is an agency called Work Force, they work hand in hand with the Department of Labor to get unemployed people back employed but they will also help people that are looking for work as well. In NY the agency often has special relationship with companies for job positions that wont be offered any where else so you may wan to find out if there is anything like that in your state. This agency also offers free training or help to find training at low or free cost so that you qualify for better jobs. As for the temp agencies you could look there but make sure you tell them you are looking for long term contract for at least 9 to 12 months and once you know that will be over start looking for another assignment, you can also look up recruiting firms in your area and submit your resume directly to them, these firms also work for specific companies that outsource there hiring dept to them so they will have jobs not listed to the public.

massconfusion14
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Find a contracting company.. when I graduated and couldn't find a job, I found a contracting job.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I agree with this advice.  Good luck!!

Quoting LifeCafe42:

Welcome keep applying try temp agencies that's where I got my start

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN