Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THINKING OF DRIVING TO GEORGIA WITH A TODDLER...SHOULD I OR NOT???

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

SO I AM GOING TO GEORGIA IN MARCH AT THE TIME MY SON WILL BE 21 MTHS OLD. WE WENT TO PUERTO RICO IN SEPT AND HE DID GO ON A PLANE. BUT OF COURSE IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE AIRPORT WITH HIS CARRIAGE HIS LUGGAGE HIS BABY BAG MY LUGGAGE MY PURSE ETC. VERY HECTIC I EVEN GOT SEARCHED BECAUSE I HAD BOTTLE THINGS THAT COULD NOT GO ON THE PLANE. ANYWAY IM GOING TO GEORGIA AND WAS WONDERING IS I SHOULD TAKE A PLANE AGAIN WITH HIM ON MY LAP OR DRIVE ALL THE WAY TO GEORGIA MY MOM WILL BE WITH ME ALSO. THEY DRIVE WILL TAKE ATLEAST 14 HRS IF I DONT STOP TO EAR JUST PEE. BUT IVE NEVER DRIVEN SO LONG WITH A BABY BEFORE. WHAT SHOULD I DO. DRIVE OR PLANE????? OH AND I WILL BE GOING TO PUERTO RICO AGAIN IN SEPT. SO THATS 200 SOMETHING FOR MY TICKET NOW TO GEORGIA MY SON IS FREE LESS THEN 2 YRS OLD BUT BY SEPT HE WILL BE 2 SO ILL HAVE TO PAY FOR MY TICKET AND HIS TOO. SO IN ALL I WILL BE SPENDING ALMOST $900 IN PLANE TICKETS. SO AGAIN SHOULD I DRIVE OR FLY TO GEORGIA??????????? ANOTHER THING IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME EVERY DRIVING SO MANY HOURS. IVE ONLY DRIVEN THE MOST 2 -3 HOURS IN MY LIFE...
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
irocksocks
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I would drive, but plan to stop many times, to let him stretch his legs, eat, play around some. You would probably have to get a cheap hotel room for a night, because those many stops will add alot of time. It would still probably be cheaper than flying

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Drive. My kids and I drove between SLC and SACRAMENTO many times at that age. My ex and I lived in different states and it was cheaper and easier than buying tickets for visitation. That is about 12 hour drive with stopping just for gas and stretching legs a fewtimes . We usually drove overnight so kids would sleep most of the trip. If you have another adult you should be fine to trade off driving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lydi
by Lydi on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM

i drove with my dd who was 1 at the time from mn to ny.  we made a lot of stops, had different ways to entertain and did a motel stop.  she handled it very well and was a great experience

Emiliush
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

21 month is pretty big.. you should do it.... a few years ago we flew 14 hours with my 12 month old brother..  to USA. and we also took Him six hour flight to London, and then a night on a ship to Ireland. just put him on Benydril or what not so he will sleep. or take a breat in a motel.... shouldn't be hard at all!!!!

LOLOSMOMMY11
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE. I THINK I MIGHT WANT TO DRIVE. I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR US.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)