Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support ?? Sorry it's long!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM
  • 26 Replies
Hey Moms,
I am new to this site! I am Jasmine. I am 26 and a single mom of 3 kiddos. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I really need advice! I am stressing myself out to the point I am getting sick. My youngest is 2 and she has a different father than my two boys. I recently filed for child support for her because her father is not in the picture at all. I have been financially handling everything from when I had my daughter until now. Her father has bought diapers twice in her life! Nothing else. He never contacts me to get her or check on her. I have tried for 2 years to get him to be a father. Well at the end of the month is our child support hearing. I have not spoken to him in 3 months as he has not seen my daughter in 5 months.
I am so nervous to go to court!! I recently lost my job in oct. So I had to move back in with my parents. I don't pay any bills because I don't have a job. I do get unemployment but on like 500 a month and I use that for my sons school tuition for my son to go to school and my cell bill and gas to put in my car. Plus neccessities I need for me and the kids. Will that make me look bad in front of the Judge that I am not working? Will the judge base the payments on my current living situation? Or will he base it off of my living expenses when i filed? If I had a job I would still be in my own place. My rent before was 732 a month plus all utilities. Plus I still had school tuition, gas for car, cell phone and all neccessities needed for me and the kids. Also my mom has always babysat for me free because I couldn't afford daycare for my daughter. Should I tell the judge that? Should I take a print out from the daycare I want to put her in so that the judge knows how much I would be paying if I had the money?
I am also asking for back child support for the last 2 years! Will the judge base the payments off of my having 2 other children and me having expenses for them also? Not for him to cover but so the judge knows the income I do bring in when I'm working has to be split amongst 3 children and myself.
What other items should I take? My daughter has Medicaid (the state insurance) but i would rather her be on another insurance. Should I talk with a insurance agent and get a print off of what it would cost for her? Will the judge even take that? What other questions will the judge ask? I am so stressed out! Please help! Thanks oh I am about to start a technical degree in march and tuition has To be paid if full when I start..should I bring the information for that as well? Sorry so long!!!! Thanks!
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

It's child support, not custody right?  Usually for child support, here in Texas, they take I believe 10% out of the man's paycheck.  I don't know if they have raised it.  I'm not sure for daycare expenses, but take proof  so he can help you pay so you can look for a job.  As for the medicaid, keep it, they gave my ex the option of putting my son in his insurance plan or for him to keep him in medicaid.  Medicaid came out out cheaper, so my son still has it.  They won't ask for anything else, except back support, which you already mention you will ask.  It's only support for you daughter, not you or your other boys.  You need to look for a job.  

breebree04
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I live in MI and here it doesnt matter if you have a job or not. His child support is not based on what you make or dont make, its based on how much he makes. If you plan on putting your dd in daycare I would get some quotes from daycare providers in your area because he should be responsible for half of the daycare cost also. In my case it is stated in our court papers that if he has a job with health insurance he has to add the children to his policy so you might wanna bring that up in court.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Welcome Jasmine, I'm also a mom of 3 (2 boys and a girl). 

The judge will only consider support for your daughter and not any of your older kids needs since they have a different father who should be supporting them.  He will take into consideration both your, and your daughter's father's, income as well as expenses for your daughter.

Good luck!

Quoting SKJ3Kiddos:

Hey Moms,
I am new to this site! I am Jasmine. I am 26 and a single mom of 3 kiddos. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I really need advice! I am stressing myself out to the point I am getting sick. My youngest is 2 and she has a different father than my two boys. I recently filed for child support for her because her father is not in the picture at all. I have been financially handling everything from when I had my daughter until now. Her father has bought diapers twice in her life! Nothing else. He never contacts me to get her or check on her. I have tried for 2 years to get him to be a father. Well at the end of the month is our child support hearing. I have not spoken to him in 3 months as he has not seen my daughter in 5 months.
I am so nervous to go to court!! I recently lost my job in oct. So I had to move back in with my parents. I don't pay any bills because I don't have a job. I do get unemployment but on like 500 a month and I use that for my sons school tuition for my son to go to school and my cell bill and gas to put in my car. Plus neccessities I need for me and the kids. Will that make me look bad in front of the Judge that I am not working? Will the judge base the payments on my current living situation? Or will he base it off of my living expenses when i filed? If I had a job I would still be in my own place. My rent before was 732 a month plus all utilities. Plus I still had school tuition, gas for car, cell phone and all neccessities needed for me and the kids. Also my mom has always babysat for me free because I couldn't afford daycare for my daughter. Should I tell the judge that? Should I take a print out from the daycare I want to put her in so that the judge knows how much I would be paying if I had the money?
I am also asking for back child support for the last 2 years! Will the judge base the payments off of my having 2 other children and me having expenses for them also? Not for him to cover but so the judge knows the income I do bring in when I'm working has to be split amongst 3 children and myself.
What other items should I take? My daughter has Medicaid (the state insurance) but i would rather her be on another insurance. Should I talk with a insurance agent and get a print off of what it would cost for her? Will the judge even take that? What other questions will the judge ask? I am so stressed out! Please help! Thanks oh I am about to start a technical degree in march and tuition has To be paid if full when I start..should I bring the information for that as well? Sorry so long!!!! Thanks!

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

in my state you only get support from when he was served but i know some states are different.

thewy usually will base it off youmaking minimum wage if you arent working. you can adjust it when you find work.

you can claim hardship for both your other kids. but if he is paying support on any he can claim it too. and its not a lot.

personally i rather my kids be on my or statye insurance than have to rely on him. what if he changes jobs? what if he goes and changes plans to one with a sky high deductible? they usually order the non custodial parent to pay half of unreimbursed medical but good luck trying to enforce it. you ahve to take his ass all the way back to court if he dont pay (they dont deduct from his check like support)

your tuition or school is not your childs fathers concern. he is not required to support you, just his kid by you.

ckmom2013
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM
It really depends on what state. Here in NJ they only asked us to bring in paystubs...of course this jerk pretended like he forgot them. But they calculate how much time they spend n how much both of u make. For example if u dont work he does and he doesnt sprnd a lot of time he would be paying a lot. And yes bring the childcare stuff. I wish I included my kids tuition in my cs case. He has to help with that. As far as insurance, they recommend the kids be on their fathers plan if the mom gets medicaid because they want to get us off state assistance. Again this is NJ hope this helps. Google whatever state u r in and put child support calculator...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SKJ3Kiddos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Yes it is just child support. I have been looking for a job. Just not that easy in Indiana. :( but this is the first time I have been unemployed since I was 16. But I would definitely rather be working than having to rely on child support or unemployment.
My boys father does help with our boys. He is a very hands on father. Our boys is on his insurance which is very good insurance also. He is not on child support though. When i need money i just ask and he will either buy what the boys need or give me the money. I just wasnt sure if they jude will look at the fact that i have 3 kids total for my monthly expenses. I wasnt meaning that he ahould have to pay for my boys. Thank you all for your responses!!!
nikkik526
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Its based on now, not what was happening when you filed. He only has to pay for her, not your other kids. Here in PA its 20% of his income for one kid plus insurence and back support.

I get child support for two kids but same dad. Let me know if you have more questions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
my4loves4
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM

i just recently started receiving child support, and it went completly off what he made. They didnt ask any bill questions or anything, they just based it off a percentage of his check.

efarrugia
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM

here in Florida they take what the momakes via what the dad  makes.. I earn more then my ex. So  I ended up w 50.00 a week support. our son has his own policy file insurance that my ex pays for. I recently  topic my ex back too court fir a child support review. quite was also the first mom in our county to flake advantage of the new enforcement of the unpaid medical bills. So now my ex has to pay a whopping 240 a month the 40 is to reimburse me for the several thousand I've paid in medical bills.

here they will base an unemployed person on minUnum wage.  my suggestions to you are have the support go through the state. have day a list of your expenses, both living on your own and width your pparents. go on line and print off a financial affidavit from your county  courts website, this might help  you with the expenses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)