Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support ?? Sorry it's long!

Posted by   + Show Post
Hey Moms,
I am new to this site! I am Jasmine. I am 26 and a single mom of 3 kiddos. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I really need advice! I am stressing myself out to the point I am getting sick. My youngest is 2 and she has a different father than my two boys. I recently filed for child support for her because her father is not in the picture at all. I have been financially handling everything from when I had my daughter until now. Her father has bought diapers twice in her life! Nothing else. He never contacts me to get her or check on her. I have tried for 2 years to get him to be a father. Well at the end of the month is our child support hearing. I have not spoken to him in 3 months as he has not seen my daughter in 5 months.
I am so nervous to go to court!! I recently lost my job in oct. So I had to move back in with my parents. I don't pay any bills because I don't have a job. I do get unemployment but on like 500 a month and I use that for my sons school tuition for my son to go to school and my cell bill and gas to put in my car. Plus neccessities I need for me and the kids. Will that make me look bad in front of the Judge that I am not working? Will the judge base the payments on my current living situation? Or will he base it off of my living expenses when i filed? If I had a job I would still be in my own place. My rent before was 732 a month plus all utilities. Plus I still had school tuition, gas for car, cell phone and all neccessities needed for me and the kids. Also my mom has always babysat for me free because I couldn't afford daycare for my daughter. Should I tell the judge that? Should I take a print out from the daycare I want to put her in so that the judge knows how much I would be paying if I had the money?
I am also asking for back child support for the last 2 years! Will the judge base the payments off of my having 2 other children and me having expenses for them also? Not for him to cover but so the judge knows the income I do bring in when I'm working has to be split amongst 3 children and myself.
What other items should I take? My daughter has Medicaid (the state insurance) but i would rather her be on another insurance. Should I talk with a insurance agent and get a print off of what it would cost for her? Will the judge even take that? What other questions will the judge ask? I am so stressed out! Please help! Thanks oh I am about to start a technical degree in march and tuition has To be paid if full when I start..should I bring the information for that as well? Sorry so long!!!! Thanks!
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Replies (21-26):
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM
No he will look at the expense of one child. They have some formula or something they use. The judge will expect the others expenses to be covered their father. That's why they're not counted

Quoting SKJ3Kiddos:

Yes it is just child support. I have been looking for a job. Just not that easy in Indiana. :( but this is the first time I have been unemployed since I was 16. But I would definitely rather be working than having to rely on child support or unemployment.

My boys father does help with our boys. He is a very hands on father. Our boys is on his insurance which is very good insurance also. He is not on child support though. When i need money i just ask and he will either buy what the boys need or give me the money. I just wasnt sure if they jude will look at the fact that i have 3 kids total for my monthly expenses. I wasnt meaning that he ahould have to pay for my boys. Thank you all for your responses!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM
They can only take a certain percentage. So it will be divided among children. You'll probably get half of that and she will get half. Probably roughly 90 a week.

Quoting SKJ3Kiddos:

Will it still be 20% of his income if he has another child? He has a older kid by another mother and he pays around 178 a week for her. How will they split his income between me and his other child's mother?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunshine389142
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting kitty8199:

They can only take a certain percentage. So it will be divided among children. You'll probably get half of that and she will get half. Probably roughly 90 a week.

Quoting SKJ3Kiddos:

Will it still be 20% of his income if he has another child? He has a older kid by another mother and he pays around 178 a week for her. How will they split his income between me and his other child's mother?

In Indiana its not a straight 20% of his income (GO to the site in my previous post).  And if he has an older child, it will included in the calculation as well.

If he pays 178 for his older child, that is a big chunk....your support will probably less than that....The site I mentioned before, should really help you....

SKJ3Kiddos
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I have one last question. What kind of proof of payment of Childcare can I take? My mom has always kept my daughter for me to work and attend school. I never wrote out any receipts for the past 2 years. What can I take to show e judge what I pay her when I can?
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Your mother can write a letter stating how much you pay her.  Also go to a daycare and ask how much they'll charge you per week to have her there; that's if you plan to take her to daycare. 

Quoting SKJ3Kiddos:

I have one last question. What kind of proof of payment of Childcare can I take? My mom has always kept my daughter for me to work and attend school. I never wrote out any receipts for the past 2 years. What can I take to show e judge what I pay her when I can?

Lori    coffee

scarlita88
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM

child support is based on the absent or noncustodial parents income. and that is not even a consideration for judges in so far as the absentee parent does or doesnt have a job. they must still support the child. and in ga. you dont even clog up the court with this . you report to the agency and they do the rest. even if paternity has not definitively been established. if the person has ever acted as a support or acknowledged the child in any fashion. that is enough. dont worry the dude will pay. its for your daughters living expenses. you do everything else. good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)