Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alone in the delivery room...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey Ladies, I'm 33 weeks along, and went to a birthing class this Friday with my friend (since my ex sure as hell won't be there) and the birthing class was all about touching and massaging... and I'm just really uncomfortable with that... and my friend reeks of cigarette smoke ALL THE TIME and it makes me nauseous... so I've been thinking I'd rather just be alone delivering my baby girl... and my friend has been really adamant about being my birth coach, how can I break it down to her that I don't want her there? any suggestions? food for thought? I just need some advice, and maybe some reassurance that it's not incredibly abnormal...

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
raeann1984
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

its definitely all about what you feel comfortable with. i just wanna let you know a lot of women don't like to be touched during labor/childbirth! so if you did want her in there, just not touching you that would be an option.. take some time and really think about it. either wayy you won't be alone - there will be tons of nurses in there supporting you, but it may be nice to have some support you know as well. I couldn't of done it this time without my friend, and the first time without my sister.. they were a hButuge comfort in the midst of my pain! But, labor and delivery is all about You so take some time, think about it and just do what feels best to you. gl

January1964
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Just tell her that the smell of cigarette smoke bothers you. That's not an unreasonable thing to say. If she argues and says she won't smoke (doesn't matter, she will still smell), tell her you decided you want to be alone while giving birth, that you think you'll feel self-conscious. She should respect that.

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

If it's just because you don't want to be touched or because she smells like smoke, be honest and tell her what the problem is. If she is your friend, she can avoid smoking that day and will understand that it's your day and whatever you say goes. Personally I would prefer that to being alone because you need support while in labor and delivery more than any other time.

Maddies_Mommy10
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I would kindly tell her how your feeling. I bluntly tell people, that I know smoke, that I don't want to be around them while I'm pregnant. For one, the smell is a million times worse, and it's already horrible to begin with. Two, the health of myself and the baby are more important, and when your in labor, smells are more intense. So her cigarette smell to you is bad now, it'll only be worse

starry_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Thank you Ladies, all good advice and knowledge! I appreciate it. Plus another thing is, she smokes the same cigarettes as my ex-husband, and so it extra bothersome. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)