Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

don't they usually file for custody/visitation once you file for child support??

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 20 Replies

just really nervous about openin that can of worms..

and   by "they" i mean  the fathers...

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mytrueloveS
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My ex never did.  He still hasn't.  Some men do though, my ex and I have gotten along when it comes to visitation.  

starry_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

you want to be the first one to file, it looks better in court, but they can contest it once they're served... but if he's a DB then he may not... 

raeann1984
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Quoting starry_mom:

you want to be the first one to file, it looks better in court, but they can contest it once they're served... but if he's a DB then he may not... 

what do you do if you don't have any money to file/for lawyers.. or any of it?

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Not always.

You can try legal aid to help you file for support.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

if they dont really want the visits they will taper off and stop if they start at all.

Mama_Gillogley
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM

what if bio dad has never been in the picture and isn't on the birth certificate... could he still get visitation?? the state is currently trying to find him and make him take a paternity test and all that jazz. should i act now when it comes to trying to get all the rights to my son? his bio dad... yeah it's not the best situation and i'm getting scared honestly. idk how this stuff works.

Misha1204
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM
They don't have to. Just depends on that father, but I wouldn't shortchange myself either, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine389142
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I am not sure where you are from, but here in Indiana, you can get parenting time guidelines online as well as child support guidelines - and a child support calculator. 

also, you should look up your local IV-D Child Support Office if you need help getting child support set up.  If he is not on the birth certificate, they should also help you establish paternity.  I work in a IV-D child support office.  They can offer you a lot of help from that aspect. 

If you set up child support, there is a chance that he will want to be in his child's life - which most of the time is a good thing for a child, but I don't know your situation.  It is something to think about for sure.

Good luck...

sunshine389142
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

what if bio dad has never been in the picture and isn't on the birth certificate... could he still get visitation?? the state is currently trying to find him and make him take a paternity test and all that jazz. should i act now when it comes to trying to get all the rights to my son? his bio dad... yeah it's not the best situation and i'm getting scared honestly. idk how this stuff works.

What do you mean "Should I act now when it comes to trying to get all the rights to my son?"  If the biological father is not on the birth certificate, I don't believe that he would have any rights at this time.  Once paternity is established he should have rights to parenting time...again, I don't know the ins and outs of things where you are, but I guess I am confused on what you are asking.  Also...if you are working with someone to find the biological father, establish paternity, and establish a child support order....you should probably speak with that caseworker or lawyer about your questions.  They may not make you feel any less scared, but they might be able to answer your questions.

Good luck

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM
No, not always.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)