Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Pageants

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

Have you hever put your child(ren) in a Pageantry for fun.

I did.  When my kids were 6 mo-1 yr old.   THey won lots of prizes from a certificate of beauty to a the Queen of a Trophy.  One of my children made it all the way to Hollywood to be in a commercial - though she didn't get the part in the commercial she did win a hefty of a savings bond. 

When they graduated from HS, I recieved in the mail for them to attend a modeling contract, but I couldn't get them in because I never saw or heard from them.  It could have been a new beginning.wearing crown

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
No...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

No. Would never.

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I have not and would not consider doing it or modeling but then again I'm a very private person so I would never feel comfortable putting my child in the spotlight like that. 

wendythewriter
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I only have boys, so it's not really an issue. But if I'd had girls, I wouldn't have. My personal opinion is that it emphasizes physical appearance over other things, which is not something I'd want to do. Plus, the make up they put on those little girls makes them look so grown up, and to me, it's just wrong.

sid1083
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I haven't, but if (or when) they express interest in it, I'd let them try it. Not something I'd push though.

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Nope, wouldn't even consider it. That's one of my super hot spots. I think beauty pageants are horrible and teach kids the exact opposite than they should be taught. Beauty comes from within and just because you're beautiful on the outside doesn't mean you're any better than those who aren't.

brieri
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

It really isn't like that at all.  Not at all what you see on TV.  The pageants my kids were in, were for fundraisers types and it depending how much money they brought in, that is what the prize they won.  But to dress them up, make up and all that other jazz, didn't need to.  But the one my child went to HOllywood for, was not a fundraiser, but rather a tell all type personality of a child she/he was.  Even then she did not have to be in those gowns like you see on tv or with any type of makeup and everything else.. 

Quoting wendythewriter:

I only have boys, so it's not really an issue. But if I'd had girls, I wouldn't have. My personal opinion is that it emphasizes physical appearance over other things, which is not something I'd want to do. Plus, the make up they put on those little girls makes them look so grown up, and to me, it's just wrong.

Lurion
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

My girl is in cheer (which some people also see as frivolous, but I know is totally a sport!) and some of the girls on her cheer team also do pageants. 

I always wonder how much you spend to earn those prizes? Is it kind of like the arcades where you spend $20 so your kids earn 1000 tickets that can be traded in for one eraser? lol

brieri
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Quoting Lurion:

My girl is in cheer (which some people also see as frivolous, but I know is totally a sport!) and some of the girls on her cheer team also do pageants. 

I always wonder how much you spend to earn those prizes? Is it kind of like the arcades where you spend $20 so your kids earn 1000 tickets that can be traded in for one eraser? lol

No, they sold raffle tickets for a charity cause.  It wasn't much  anywhere from 5-25.00 depending on the number of tickets a person wanted. 

Cheer isn't frovolous, I had always wanted one of mine  to be on the swimteam.  She was a good strong swimmer by the time she was 4 yrs old.  But their whole childhood had been shattered.

Lurion
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Oh, that makes sense. Those people who buy $5,000 dresses for a 3 year old are out of their minds! 

May as well just go buy a few trophies and crowns and have the girls prance around their back yard. lol

Quoting brieri:

Quoting Lurion:

No, they sold raffle tickets for a charity cause.  It wasn't much  anywhere from 5-25.00 depending on the number of tickets a person wanted. 

Cheer isn't frovolous, I had always wanted one of mine  to be on the swimteam.  She was a good strong swimmer by the time she was 4 yrs old.  But their whole childhood had been shattered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)