Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Explaining where daddy is..

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this
So when the time comes... How do I break it down to my son that daddy choose not to be apart of his life? I need to explain it to him that daddy did want him and loves him however didn't want the responsibility. But I don't want my son to think its ok either... Grrrr
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KirasMomma13
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I just recently became a single mother to my 2 month old baby girl, and I had the same question. A lady replied to me and told me what she did when she was faced with this issue. She told me that she told her daughter that some mommy's and daddy's don't live together, but that she had a mommy who loved her very much. Obviously, this question will first come at a young age and this answer will suffice for awhile. However, I decided I am going to write her a letter every year on her birthday until shes 18 and also one explaining what happened between her father and I. The one about her father will be given to her when that question arises again in im assuming early teen years. I alsohad just recently made scrapbook of her father and mine's relationship over the last 5 years that I was going to give him as a gift, but then things ended. So, I decided I would save it for when she's older and that question arises that she came from a place of love and that she was very wanted, and just because he isn't around doesn't mean she's any less loved. As for him knowing its wrong to do what his father did, I'm sure you are a wonderful mother who will teach him right from wrong and he will be some lucky ladies prince charming, because he was taught how to treat a woman! Best of luck to you both. :)
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM
3 moms liked this

dont talk him down but dont talk him up either. just be honest in a tactful way. usually i recommend, "i dont know why your father isnt here. but i am here and i love you."

shantee225
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:06 AM
2 moms liked this

When the time for the talk comes for my child and I, I will tell her that I chose to date someone who I thought was mature and willing to handle responsibilty of bringing forth life. I was wrong. Your father could not be the man he wanted to be and instead of trying he took another route. He loves you, but does not know how to express it.

Reina13
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell him gently that he loves him so much but that he isnt able to take care of him right now. He doesnt ever need to know the real reason. When he gets older, he will understand, but he will be secure in his self worth, so it won't really effect him much. Just have faith in yourself as a mom and it will be okay. I went through something very similiar.

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Never tell him his father didnt want him. Dont lie to him either Tell him that sometimes daddys cant be with their children for reasons you dont understand why, but that doesnt mean he doesnt love them. He doesnt need to know the gory details.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)