Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

if you owed someone rent would you... UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 56 Replies

my current roommate owes me $350 in rent and late fees. She paid her utilities really late as well. this is her last month here and she has been in another city with her boyfriend all month but has all of her stuff here and said she was going to pay January's rent when I asked in December if she was moving out or not.

Anyway- so she said she was going to pay it on the 8th, decided she didn't feel like paying it then and didn't even bother to call me.

so when i got the letter thursday night from my property management saying i would be evicted TODAY if her half of the rent wasn't paid, oh man, i was so mad.

I called them that Friday and asked what the deal was, and her boyfriend is apparently paying this bill and won't let me talk to Amy about rent AT ALL. He told me he didn't feel like paying rent over the phone to them and wouldn't be able to make it into town until today or tomorrow.

SO my dad obviously went ahead and paid their rent since they've been talking about paying rent ALL MONTH and have yet to do it... i cannot get evicted i have a 2 year old and it's below freezing outside where i live!

This girl who owes me rent, and abandoned her job and school to run off with some guy she doesn't know, is messaging me asking if we're still friends?? I'm so confused! REALLY???! Friends? Today my 72 hour eviction notice would have kicked in if it hadn't been for my dad, she still hasn't paid rent and she asks me about our FRIENDSHIP??? She never warned me, never gave me a head's up about anything just keeps hoping it's "okay". i'm trying to not freak cuz it's her last month and i know that's why she's being a flake and i need the rent money, but it is making me so mad. it wouldn't make me so mad if she had forewarned me about paying rent late and told me what date it would be, but just, saying she would pay it and not paying it... that annoys me.

in Oregon can i hold her stuff if she doesn't pay rent??

argh... anyway, at least m food stamps got turned back on! YAY!!!! FOOD!

UPDATE:

Roommate has not paid rent. (I was told it would be paid last night, then tonight... then "maybe some of it... tomorrow...".)

After that I texted her a 72 hour eviction notice and then *drum roll* I called her mother.

Her mother said that she is going to come and take my roommate's stuff next week (apparently all of her stuff was from her mom) and she is going to sell it and make sure I get the money for rent. Now- my roommate hasn't responded yet to my text, I just said essentially, "Pay or quit in 72 hours". I don't think she's going to pay but she might "quit" so I think i need to inform her mom of that possibility and see what she says in regards to my roommate's belongings. She said that she couldn't come to town until next week, so, I'm not sure what is going to happen in the next few days or next week but...

OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS SO CRAZY! it should not be this difficult to collect rent... sheesh. Oh and I'm not going to hold her stuff obviously even though i want to. but if her mom wants to come take it I won't stop her that's all. I am personally not touching her shit, for all she knows I'll think she had her mom come to get her shit. After all, she doesn't know that I called her mother... Okay... I'm maybe slightly evil on the inside...

...sorry guys.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Wow. I don't know about holding her stuff. I don't know how that works. Seems like that go into more legal issues. But man seriously she thinks yall are still friends?! She just about put you and your two year old child on the street. Seriously...what's wrong with people?!

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

But also all that being said, sounds like she's got a pretty controlling boyfriend. Maybe she will get away from this guy. Unless she's acted like this before, I'd think that a lot of the problem is the guy.

KPBMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I would say "Of course we're still friends!"  When she finally pays you what she owes you then you can really decide what you want to do.  Some girls do get flaky about a guy, that's for sure.  I would hold onto her stuff without making a big deal out of it.

Mama_Gillogley
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM

she's been in relationships like this before from what she's told me, she was doing so well and then she just dropped everything for him. They hadn't even been dating a month and she quit her job and school for the dude. it is the guy, i know i need to be nice to them but I am so angry.

Quoting raegan1221:

But also all that being said, sounds like she's got a pretty controlling boyfriend. Maybe she will get away from this guy. Unless she's acted like this before, I'd think that a lot of the problem is the guy.

Mama_Gillogley
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

yes, you're probably right. I am so angry it's difficult to be nice. I told her it was unacceptable. I should've done this:

Quoting KPBMom:

I would say "Of course we're still friends!"  When she finally pays you what she owes you then you can really decide what you want to do.  Some girls do get flaky about a guy, that's for sure.  I would hold onto her stuff without making a big deal out of it.

oh well... i texted her again saying that it had nothing to do with our friendship but with the agreement she'd made with me and that i am really hurt and frustrated by what she's done. and that's more the truth than anything.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Oh yes, I'd be beyond angry as well. That's very wrong of this girl to do this to you. I actually had to end a friendship before because of instances like this. Maybe once she's away from the guy she'll realize...

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

she's been in relationships like this before from what she's told me, she was doing so well and then she just dropped everything for him. They hadn't even been dating a month and she quit her job and school for the dude. it is the guy, i know i need to be nice to them but I am so angry.

Quoting raegan1221:

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
Mama_Gillogley
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM

yeah, idk how she will though. she didn't call her boss- she was just MIA for three weeks- he finally came to my door asking where she was. I had no idea she hadn't called him. Also she now owes the school a bunch of loan money, since she took a term and then dropped all of her classes. when she finally told her family where she was and what she'd done regarding her job and school, they told her, "talk to us when you're life is together" because this is not the first time she's done this to them. i hope she finds a way to leave him, i don't know why on earth she put herself in such a financially vulnerable position when didn't HAVE to be in the position. you know? i don't get it. sorry i'm being mean. *dies* i'm a terrible person.

Quoting raegan1221:

Oh yes, I'd be beyond angry as well. That's very wrong of this girl to do this to you. I actually had to end a friendship before because of instances like this. Maybe once she's away from the guy she'll realize...

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

Quoting raegan1221:

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Lol you are not being mean, nor are you a terrible person. She sounds pretty messed up. It'll take her to get her life straight. That's sad and scary honestly. She needs to figure it out and stop dragging other people down with her. If I were you, I'd keep my distance until she does. I mean be there for her for the fall but don't let her screw you over ya know. I hope she doesn't have any kids.

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

yeah, idk how she will though. she didn't call her boss- she was just MIA for three weeks- he finally came to my door asking where she was. I had no idea she hadn't called him. Also she now owes the school a bunch of loan money, since she took a term and then dropped all of her classes. when she finally told her family where she was and what she'd done regarding her job and school, they told her, "talk to us when you're life is together" because this is not the first time she's done this to them. i hope she finds a way to leave him, i don't know why on earth she put herself in such a financially vulnerable position when didn't HAVE to be in the position. you know? i don't get it. sorry i'm being mean. *dies* i'm a terrible person.

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

Quoting raegan1221:

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
Mama_Gillogley
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM

i've always kept my distance... this is not my first bad roommate experience. haha!

she does, but she gave all three up for adoption to her cousin.

Quoting raegan1221:

Lol you are not being mean, nor are you a terrible person. She sounds pretty messed up. It'll take her to get her life straight. That's sad and scary honestly. She needs to figure it out and stop dragging other people down with her. If I were you, I'd keep my distance until she does. I mean be there for her for the fall but don't let her screw you over ya know. I hope she doesn't have any kids.

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

Quoting raegan1221:

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Omg..that's sad. I hope she figures things out soon. She's only hurting herself it sounds like. Sounds like you've been really smart about it.

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

i've always kept my distance... this is not my first bad roommate experience. haha!

she does, but she gave all three up for adoption to her cousin.

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

Quoting raegan1221:

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

Quoting raegan1221:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN