Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Bye bye binky.... UGH I WISH!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Methods to rid the "Binky"

Options:

Throw a Big Girl Party saying bye bye to the binky

There's the "cold turkey" option

Put hot sauce on the binky (that scares me)

Poke a hole to deflate it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

Hi I am a single mom of my one and only little daughter.

My daughter is 2, she is extremely attached to her pacifier aka BINKY and turns into the exorcist without it. However, I'm afraid of any permanent damage using her pacifier may be causing her. It makes me feel awful, like I am an enabler 😩😩😩😩

Any one have ideas or suggestions for tossing the "binky"? 

I have included a Poll for methods I've heard of already by random passer byers... If you suggest or don't suggest one or more of these please share. If they have been successful please also share. If your method did not work... You guessed it PLEASE ALSO SHARE! 

Please please help!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Tephlyn
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

depending on the brand you use but my BFF daughter was addicted to hers and one day BFF cut all the nipples off and said the binkies broke... she daughter was sad but after a day of repetative "binky broken" she was fine...

My mom told me the squirrels took my bink and i was fine with that...

Mommyandme878
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I slowly started taking my sons away when he was a year old and when christmas came he was 14 months and when he couldn't find his "nah nah" christmas morning I had told him Santa thought he was to big for it so he took it for another little boy and gave him lots of cool toys... After that there was no more binky, and he never asked for it again. (a lot of people say I shouldn't have done it that way because he might not like "Santa" anymore but to be honest he thought santa was the coolest thing since chocolate ic cream because he got cool toys out of the deal) Lol. Good luck with your Binky journey! 

Shelbypb
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is 2 and still very addicted to his paci it isn't going to kill him to have it. We aren't taking it from him he will get rid of it when he is ready

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Can't help my son hated the pacifer so he never used one, best of luck. But I think PP about the binky would be great. 

January1964
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I am having the same problem, only my dd will be 4 (gasp!) in March. We took it away at 2, she cried and screamed for nights. We took it away at 3, we did the Pacifier Fairy----we told her the Pacifier Fairy needed to take the paci to give to a baby and that she would get a gift in exchange. Well, it was awful. For six weeks, dd cried, screamed and would not fall asleep until 11PM, midnight, or 1 AM. She was getting no sleep and it was horrible. We gave the paci back. She only has it for nap or bed and it stays in her room. I just don't know what to do. When we took it away, she screamed "I need something to suck on!" She tried to suck a wooden try train. It was awful, like watching a junkie. Some people put a hole in the paci or cut the tip off, tell their kid is broken, and the child accepts it. Ours at 2 years old, said buy me a new one. So, I am still at a loss. If you can do it now, it will be much better than if you let it go like I did.

Iamlindsey
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I literally burst into laughter @ the squirrel comment. Thanks for the comment.

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd was that attached also, but she had to have 2 at all times and had them hidden all over the house for when she lost one. No joke. I tried everything to get her away from them, but nothing worked. Finally her babysitter took all she could find and threw them away without asking/telling me first. I was sooooo pissed! It was hell for a couple of days, then all of a sudden she was fine without them. Every once in a while she would come out with one that she had hidden and would give it to me to throw away.

Iamlindsey
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

This sounds exactly like what we are going through. I think cold turkey will have to do...

Quoting naturALYme:

My son is two (he'll be 3 in July). He loved his pacifier. First, I started to only give it to him when he was going to sleep or if he was really, really, really upset about something (ex: hurting himself). But my mom and my aunt weren't as strict so he was still getting to use it in other situations. I pretty sure his pacifier use affected his teeth. He has an underbite. Around mid-November, I just decided that we would go cold turkey because (1) I felt like he was too old for it anyway and (2) because I didn't want to further any damage that we may have caused. One night, I told him that there was no more "pacy". Then, I just put him to bed without it and kept putting him back in bed until he fell asleep. I think it took about an hour. And he never even asked for it again.

That's what worked for me. I'm sure there are other good ways. Good luck!

blueeyedpixie
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Dd used to have about 6 of them. She slowly lost them by 18 months from throwing them in stores or the house swallowed them... I bought 2 more because she had molars coming in and I felt bad... She lost both in the house in 1 week. I searched everywhere but never found them! So I refused to buy any more. I felt horrible cuz she was sick at the time but she seemed to be ok after a couple days... She will ask once in a while and try to take her little brothers but then she will forget about it. She's 22 months now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
massconfusion14
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am not to that point with my daughter, but my sister had a VERY effective method, especially for a little girl... She searched the house and threw ALL out except one that my niece picked. My sister then took her to build-a-bear and let her pick out whatever she wanted and they stuffed the binky in the bear. However, my niece was 3 when they did this...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)