Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

any other massachusetts moms?? question about custody

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
  • 2 Replies
Me and my ex have been split for over a year. We have been decent coparents thus far, however he hasn't been paying child support at all. We have no official order for anything. We were doing he had them thurs after school and then Fri and Sat nights until noon Sun.

So he brought up claiming the kids and I said I was claiming them both. It is my legal right. They sleep at my house 5 nights a week. He got angry and stormed out. Now he's filing for joint custody. I think our arrangement is good. Its all money with him so he's pissed. Anyhow, I filed for cs today online (soooo easy I should have done it a year ago!) And was going to go file for custody tomorrow but did some research. Okay so it is my understanding in Mass because we were never wed I have sole custody. And because we were never married it is harder to make a case for joint custody right. I will give joint legal, but I want physical with visitation. I don't want to shuffle them around during the school week. He has more time with them then I do as is because they are both in school full time. I work all weekend so our arrangement works well.

So is my understanding that I already have sole custody correct? Or should I go file?
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Christine9576
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I'm from Massachusetts also, and I say look into it...but I believe you are correct.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I'm in Iowa so I'm not sure but here's a bump for you!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN