Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

tax season

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
I am a single, divorced mother. My son is not my ex husbands child. We divorced in November. Do I have to file taxes with him?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I think it depends when your final divorce date is.  Check with the IRS, you may be able to file married but separately.???

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I think since you were divorced before the end of the year you can file single or head of household.  My divorce was finalized November 2010 and I filed as single.

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

No clue. I'd check with an accountant.

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I believe once you are divorced you get to file separately. I do know that as long as you lived away from him for the last 6 months of 2012 you can file single head of household. I would check with a tax preparer to be sure.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
You can file your final return as married filing separate. But his info will be on your return. And yours will be on his. I don't know about claiming the kid but I'd assume it'll all go to you. Make sure you get that mapped out in court if he's fighting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camommy08
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I not 100% but you can file married but seperated or something like that. But make sure you talk with your ex to make sure he doesnt try to file for both of you. Not 100% on this but hope it helped some or someone can tell me im beyone wrong lol.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I think it's better to file married for one more year money wise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)