Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Pro Se questions, Custody questions...... (in Oregon)

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am a mom that lives in Oregon. I was awarded full custody of my daughter in 2011 with her father having some parenting time. I won't go into all of the issues that we have gone through in that amount of time, I will just say that they have led to me now wanting to file to modify our agreement to very little time with more restrictions. 

I represented myself the first time around however I was nowhere near prepared enough as far as the legal aspect of it all. I was highly prepared with information however really didn't know how the proceedings would go or how to present my case. I'm looking for people to possibly help me out!! Anyone who has gone through representing yourself who can give me tips!! Preferably in Oregon as some things may vary state to state however any advice at all would be great! 

If anyone knows of any online resources or other rescources that could be helpful please let me know!! I have a lot of questions I need answers for and I don't know how to find the information!

Off the top of my head some things I am wanting to know right now:

•  Do you have the right to have someone co represent you that is not a lawyer?

• Is there anyway to subpoena arrest records without the use of a lawyer? (the city that I live in will not release records to me, I was told I could only see records that I myself am included in)

• What is the correct way in which to object to a witness?

• What is the correct procedure for submitting evidence?

That is all I can think of right now that I am needing to know, I know there will be plenty of questions along the way!!

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
You really need to at least consult with an attorney or legal aid. I'm in Oregon as well but dont follow the court filed visitation plan anymore. I hope you get your answers. If you are low income, look to see if you qualify for the Modest Means program.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Wow, great questions, but I have no idea on the answers.  My suggestion is to go for at least one consultation with a lawyer (or several of them) to see if you can get some of your questions answered.

mageng0110
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I have already done a consultation but it would take WAY too long to ask all the questions I have. I do qualify for the modest means program, however the lawyer that is available was used by friends of my fiance and only a few hours still turned into thousands of dollars that I do not have. As I represented myself last time and got exactly what I asked for I know I do not need a lawyer.... I simply want to be even more prepared than I was before. 

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM
How close to one of the Oregon law schools are you? Maybe a law student could help you get those answers. :)
mageng0110
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I am in the Eugene area round abouts so I am sure that could be a possibility thanks for the idea!. There are aids in Eugene that will help you fill out papers and things like that however they will not give you legal advice at all and arent always 100% helpful to answering questions but I might try them again as well. 

The issue is that it has been 2 years now and there is just soo much information that I have it is overwhelming.. I keep logs and have about 50 pages of that, I have statements from people, all our text messages, emails, I keep it ALL.... I have a lot of things like statements of arrests that have occurred and things like that but I would LOVE to have the records... if I had the money I would pay a lawyer just for that.... in fact who knows I may end up contacting a lawyer just for that if need be if it is not too much.... which it always adds up to be!! 

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I'm in Eugene, well Springfield as well. Checking in with the UO law school might be a good idea. Yep, the Family Court Assistance office will always tell you to consult with an attorney. When I used the modest means program there were a couple of attorney's in Eugene participating in the program. If you are a student at LCC there is an attorney on staff for students to use as well

Quoting mageng0110:

I am in the Eugene area round abouts so I am sure that could be a possibility thanks for the idea!. There are aids in Eugene that will help you fill out papers and things like that however they will not give you legal advice at all and arent always 100% helpful to answering questions but I might try them again as well. 

The issue is that it has been 2 years now and there is just soo much information that I have it is overwhelming.. I keep logs and have about 50 pages of that, I have statements from people, all our text messages, emails, I keep it ALL.... I have a lot of things like statements of arrests that have occurred and things like that but I would LOVE to have the records... if I had the money I would pay a lawyer just for that.... in fact who knows I may end up contacting a lawyer just for that if need be if it is not too much.... which it always adds up to be!! 

mageng0110
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Yeah friends of my fiance and I used the lawyer we were going to use through the modest means program and it still ended up costing thousands of dollars and they had to drop him before the case was done because they did not have the money and I certainly dont either. I am a student at LCC and did know about the lawyer there as well however unfortunately I live on the outskirts of Eugene area so I do online classes and classes on other LCC campuses that are not the main campus. Because of that I am not elligible for any of the perks so to speak of LCC, no bus, no health care, no lawyer, none of that... I have looked for all the resources that I can believe me!!! 

At this point I am more hoping someone can point me towards books or things like that that I may find helpful because actual resources in the area are kind of slim for free help  

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Bummer, that's too bad. If you can get into town, maybe you can access the law library at the UO. I wish I could offer more advice. And you can't get arrest records? I thought they were public knowledge, interesting.

Quoting mageng0110:

Yeah friends of my fiance and I used the lawyer we were going to use through the modest means program and it still ended up costing thousands of dollars and they had to drop him before the case was done because they did not have the money and I certainly dont either. I am a student at LCC and did know about the lawyer there as well however unfortunately I live on the outskirts of Eugene area so I do online classes and classes on other LCC campuses that are not the main campus. Because of that I am not elligible for any of the perks so to speak of LCC, no bus, no health care, no lawyer, none of that... I have looked for all the resources that I can believe me!!! 

At this point I am more hoping someone can point me towards books or things like that that I may find helpful because actual resources in the area are kind of slim for free help  

Proud Momma to one fabulous 4th grader.

wearing crowngirl giving flower

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN