Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The trouble with being "middle class"

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 27 Replies
3 moms liked this
I live in SoCal which is a very expensive area. One bedroom apartments cost $1400 a month! So I have a steady job and I actually work in tax accounting. But I make wages on the cusp of a tax bracket. Last year my bracket was 15%. This year it is 25%! Which means because I make a little extra than last year I will bring home less on my paycheck on top of the 2% social security tax increase. My rent is now more than one of my paychecks. How is this fair? I don't qualify for any aide. Day care is expensive too. I'll have to pay $200 a week for summer day care.

Is anyone else in my shoes? Make too much for assistance but not enough to pay the bills? Good thing bd pays CS or is be majorly f@&*ed! It's just enough to pay the bills and keep food on the table but that's it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Same boat. Make too much to get help but not enough to get by. I live in northern CA but my rent is one check and all other bills have to be paid with other check. I get a whoping 300 a month for child support... two teenage boys. Yea that barely covers their food!
Can you raise your tax deductions so you get more take home pay? I claim 8 for the 3 of us and I usually still get money back after tax credits when I file
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM
:( and what's worse is the sales tax increase too. How the F am I going to afford this without going into bad debt?

Quoting conniejo75:

Same boat. Make too much to get help but not enough to get by. I live in northern CA but my rent is one check and all other bills have to be paid with other check. I get a whoping 300 a month for child support... two teenage boys. Yea that barely covers their food!

Can you raise your tax deductions so you get more take home pay? I claim 8 for the 3 of us and I usually still get money back after tax credits when I file
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Yep. I live that now. We were doing ok until I couldn't work for medical reasons for the past year. Dh makes to much for any pa, but we have to have my mom buy all our groceries for us. Luckily she is able to help us out with that. We aren't in a "rich" area either. We just refuse to live in the lower income areas because I don't want my family subjected to drugs and violence just to save a few bucks. Especially considering my dh works nights and I'm home alone with our dd and have 50/50 visitation with my odd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yezay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here.  I have a college degree and work at a job where I make 13.44 an hr.  I get 400 a month in CS and my rent is 1295.  I make too much for assistance but live pay check to pay check.  Something is wrong with this situation.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM
The joys of CA. I know I could move closer to work and save on rent and gas but the schools suck. I live in one of the best school districts in state so I will scrimp for a few more years. But if my rent gets raised in june I will have to move :( my oldest graduates this yr and I would hate to move before my younger son's sr year. Both want to get jobs but I would eather them focus on school and save money where I can

Quoting MeeshMom:

:( and what's worse is the sales tax increase too. How the F am I going to afford this without going into bad debt?

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM
What is your degree? That's a low wage for someone with a degree. And I agree that is wrong. Are there other positions in your field where you can make more?

Quoting yezay:

Same here.  I have a college degree and work at a job where I make 13.44 an hr.  I get 400 a month in CS and my rent is 1295.  I make too much for assistance but live pay check to pay check.  Something is wrong with this situation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I have to have my parents cosign to move closer to work which I will this summer but rent won't be cheaper. At least it's still in the same school district.
When I was 16 I had a job but my family didn't need the help as it was back in 2001 when the economy was good. I don't see why a part time job would hurt for your kids if they're old enough as long as it didn't interfere with their grades.

Quoting conniejo75:

The joys of CA. I know I could move closer to work and save on rent and gas but the schools suck. I live in one of the best school districts in state so I will scrimp for a few more years. But if my rent gets raised in june I will have to move :( my oldest graduates this yr and I would hate to move before my younger son's sr year. Both want to get jobs but I would eather them focus on school and save money where I can

Quoting MeeshMom:

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
londonmmy23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Yup I live there and live right by Disney so I know how u feel. I bearly made it
Still am I donate my plasma in orange for a lil bit of cash.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM
It's the grades I worry about. I would rather them wait. Plus their Dad will not let them work even though he only does visitation once a month. If they got job and then got fired due to missing work that would be worse.
br />
Quoting MeeshMom:

I have to have my parents cosign to move closer to work which I will this summer but rent won't be cheaper. At least it's still in the same school district.

When I was 16 I had a job but my family didn't need the help as it was back in 2001 when the economy was good. I don't see why a part time job would hurt for your kids if they're old enough as long as it didn't interfere with their grades.

Quoting conniejo75:

Quoting MeeshMom:

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I have a lot of family in Anaheim and that area the school district sucks from what I know. It's cheaper there than where I live but I'd probably not be doing much better out there.

Quoting londonmmy23:

Yup I live there and live right by Disney so I know how u feel. I bearly made it

Still am I donate my plasma in orange for a lil bit of cash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)