Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The trouble with being "middle class"

Posted by   + Show Post
I live in SoCal which is a very expensive area. One bedroom apartments cost $1400 a month! So I have a steady job and I actually work in tax accounting. But I make wages on the cusp of a tax bracket. Last year my bracket was 15%. This year it is 25%! Which means because I make a little extra than last year I will bring home less on my paycheck on top of the 2% social security tax increase. My rent is now more than one of my paychecks. How is this fair? I don't qualify for any aide. Day care is expensive too. I'll have to pay $200 a week for summer day care.

Is anyone else in my shoes? Make too much for assistance but not enough to pay the bills? Good thing bd pays CS or is be majorly f@&*ed! It's just enough to pay the bills and keep food on the table but that's it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
londonmmy23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM
No I understand my mom lives out here and she helps out wit babysitting since here fathers a douche.

Quoting MeeshMom:

I have a lot of family in Anaheim and that area the school district sucks from what I know. It's cheaper there than where I live but I'd probably not be doing much better out there.

Quoting londonmmy23:

Yup I live there and live right by Disney so I know how u feel. I bearly made it

Still am I donate my plasma in orange for a lil bit of cash.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
londonmmy23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Try getting assistance with daycare children's home society the pay a portion of the expensive.
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I used to be on children's home society but now I don't qualify because I make too much by like $50.

Quoting londonmmy23:

Try getting assistance with daycare children's home society the pay a portion of the expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
londonmmy23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Thats what I never understood.

Quoting MeeshMom:

I used to be on children's home society but now I don't qualify because I make too much by like $50.

Quoting londonmmy23:

yezay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM

In this area minimum wage without a degree is around 8-9 an hr.  My degree is in sociology and I honestly don't know what someone in my field is supposed to be making.  The job market is bad right now but I just keep looking.

Quoting MeeshMom:

What is your degree? That's a low wage for someone with a degree. And I agree that is wrong. Are there other positions in your field where you can make more?

Quoting yezay:

Same here.  I have a college degree and work at a job where I make 13.44 an hr.  I get 400 a month in CS and my rent is 1295.  I make too much for assistance but live pay check to pay check.  Something is wrong with this situation.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM

That's why I moved to Alaska.  better perhaps colder, but it's beautiful state and the only work I have to do is build igloos for the penguins, but it's all free!  lol.

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I agree and I definitely feel your plight... I make enough to pay rent and before school care with one pay check  and house hold bills and savings of about $300 a month with the other. I too am a divorced single parent whose ex does not do a damn thing when it comes to child support... child support enforcement is a joke especially since the ex now lives in Riverside, CA. So I have ever had a support payment to rely on or help out. I agree with the cafe mom about changing your W-4 this year so that you can start taking home more money in your regular pay check. I am here in GA by the way...in a fantastic school district...so i do not have any plans to move just to not pay as much in rent... I too have never qualified for any type of financial assistance ...

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Wow, that is crazy.
lancet98
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Take some classes so you are qualified for a better job.   It's not easy but it is worth it.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I am working on my bachelor degree as we speak.

Quoting lancet98:

Take some classes so you are qualified for a better job.   It's not easy but it is worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)