Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The trouble with being "middle class"

Posted by   + Show Post
I live in SoCal which is a very expensive area. One bedroom apartments cost $1400 a month! So I have a steady job and I actually work in tax accounting. But I make wages on the cusp of a tax bracket. Last year my bracket was 15%. This year it is 25%! Which means because I make a little extra than last year I will bring home less on my paycheck on top of the 2% social security tax increase. My rent is now more than one of my paychecks. How is this fair? I don't qualify for any aide. Day care is expensive too. I'll have to pay $200 a week for summer day care.

Is anyone else in my shoes? Make too much for assistance but not enough to pay the bills? Good thing bd pays CS or is be majorly f@&*ed! It's just enough to pay the bills and keep food on the table but that's it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Replies (21-27):
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

What about upping the cs amount?  If he's only paying $300 a month for teenage boys that's certainly not right for you to pay more to raise you and your ex's kids.  I got hit by high social security, too.  I had to adjust my withholdings from 4 to three just so I could make more takehome pay.  My DD is grown, but I do give her money from time to time since my ex is a deadbeat and isn't paying her at all. 

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I am in the same boat. I live in Missouri so my mortgage is not nearly as high but still, I don't make enough to pay all my bills. My ex does NOT pay child support so it it wasn't for my savings I'd be screwed. Of course now my savings is gone so I'm not sure what I will do but it always seems to work out somehow by the grace of God.

I make $150 too much a month to get any type of help but that is before taxes. I do get a scholarship for my kids daycare. I pay $90 a week for 2 kids. If I didn't get that I would pay almost $400 a week!

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I'm sorry , that really has to suck on so many levels. There government has no real idea of what it's like to live in the real world. 

witchybabymomma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm close to the same situation, but I do qualify for some aid. Only problem is if my BD actuallt paid his support I would lose my daycare assistance which would cause me to pay out more then I would be getting from the support. Not really sure how they figure that works out, but I find it truely sad that the only reason I can make ends meet from month to month is because he doesn't pay and I qualify for the daycare :-(

HaveFaith1215
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here. I'm in Northern CA. Rent is more than one check, with the rest of my second check of the month, child care ($400.00 month) car payment, insurance, medical insurance, food, pg&e, water, + other misc. bills, I'm still short a couple hundred. I do not get CS. (The ass got himself incarcerated, therefore they closed my cs case) Thank God his mother helps me out when she can. 

I "make too much" on paper to qualify for anything. 

I'm looking for another job, but if they wouldnt take out so much in taxes, and other crap, I would bring home good money. So, finding another job would almost be pointless. I make ok money for my qualifications. I hate feeling so trapped and hopeless.

I think they should lower the income requirements and go by Net, not Gross. Because if I brought home Gross, I wouldn't need the damn aide to begin with! 

Idoitall4U
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Same boat.

It's so frustrating to always see/hear the phrase 'single mother' either prefaced or followed by "low income." That is a stereotype for sure!

My income falls into the same situation....make too much on paper to qualify for any type of support or assistance....yet am faced with the entire financial responsibility for my daughter and I. At the end of the day we are 'making it' yet worry about future education expenses and my own retirement. Being a single mom facing retirement alone some day is a really scary thought too. I will be responsible for myself then too....outside of a workplace 401K, it is very hard to have any type of savings.

There is no child support in my situation, he chose to walk away...it was just easier to let it be and make work with what I have. We are 'rich' in many many other ways than financial. My little girl is turning out to be a loving, caring, intelligent and thoughtful human being. We are a team. I feel lucky to have it just her and I - we are bonded in a way 'nuclear' families aren't.

Taxes ... ugh... yeah that part is definitely getting ugly. The more you make the more they take. Just always keep your head held high, love yourself, love your child and stay positive. Know you aren't alone!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I'm in SoCal too I made more money this year and I think I went up a tax bracket I'm kinda scared
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)