Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Divorce and changing last names

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 18 Replies
I'm filling out my divorce papers, we are filing a joint petition for divorce. We have two kids, a 5 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. I'm trying to decide I I want to change my last name... Can I get some opinions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mhaney03
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I didnt. Its the kids last name too.
mhaney03
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Not to mention, its a pain to change everything back. And it pisses his friends and family off.
Pessema
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I would & I've sat through many court days. Most (that I viewed) did get their name changed. My mother didn't so she would have the same name as her other 2 kids, so I guess it all depends on how important that is to you.

Lurion
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I always used both last names during the marriage, although I never legally changed it. 

Now I usually just use my maiden name in everyday life. But I admit I still use the hyphenated name when I'm on "mommy duty" at school, etc. 'cause I think it makes my kids feel better. 

Nena70
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Keep your name like your kids....

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I changed mine back to my maiden name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it says any more or less of you to go back to your maiden name. It's never bothered my son that our names are different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I changed it back. I have never had issue having different last name as my kids. A lot of families have different names nowadays. Also, it may be your child's name but when you get serious with a new guy... what if you remarry? I have also seen husbands petition court to force wife to go back ti maiden name. And yes a judge will grant it in most cases since it is the husband's name... and you got it only due to marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I did not ... so that my duaghter and I still have same last name...also I have so many people/organizations to notify of a name change ...just did not want to go through the hassle...

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I kept my married name mainly for the sake of the kids, knowing that if I e er marry again I will have a different last name as them.....and honestly as much as I hate bearing my exes last name, I hate thr thought of having a different last name as my kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)