Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Divorce and changing last names

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm filling out my divorce papers, we are filing a joint petition for divorce. We have two kids, a 5 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. I'm trying to decide I I want to change my last name... Can I get some opinions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Replies (11-18):
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I didn't change my last name.  I never did like my initials when I was single.  It was easier to keep the ex's last name for business cards and everyone else knows me by my ex's last name.  My DD has the same last name.  I've been using this last name for 26 years.  Kinda weird to change it to my maiden name. 

breebree04
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I kept my married name. I didnt wanna go through the hassle of notifying everyone of my name change when more than likely I will remarry again some day and then Id have to do it all over again. I figure for now I will keep the same last name as my children and change it later on down the road if I remarry.

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I kept my last name because my son's last name was my married name, it makes for less drama when dealing with school, doctor's and so on.

Sj218
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I kept my married name and it had very little to with keeping it the same as our child. I've been married my whole adult life. We were together for nearly 13 years. That last name is just as much mine as it is my stbxs. All of my professional contacts as well a friends know me by that name, going back to my maiden name would feel like going back to high school. Just my opinion, but different than most other replies.
kidlover2
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
This. When I considered it, my girls were quite upset we would have different names. And considering the previous hellish year they had gone through, I conceded.

Quoting mhaney03:

I didnt. Its the kids last name too.
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I kept my married name, after asking my ex if it was something he was ok with. (We were on good terms) and had he said he wasn't ok with it, I would have returned to my maiden name, but I much preferred to keep my married name so that my kiddo and I could have the same last name. :) To each their own, if you prefer to return to your married name, it's easily changed when ordered in the divorce decree, and the steps are the same as when you get married. Once the divorce is finalized and you then want to change it, the steps are much harder and it costs money.

Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I didn't change anythig an I let him know that I wasn't going to change. I was divorce 8-4-10 and I just got my divorce decree last month. I didn't know that we had a date to finalize the divore so when I finally got the decree I was ticked to see that the name change request he wanted at first had been scratched out. LOL, he could made it the other way but screw him, I would have kept it anyway. Screw what he wanted.

I rambled, it all depends on how you feel about changing everything. I'm too lazy for all of that...granted the only things with my married name are military documents. All things civilian are under my maiden name.

lulubird83
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I am considering it, but probably won't do it because of the kids. Also, it's too much work to change it back

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)