Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

if your 7 year old asked how did you get pregnat? what do you say?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 16 Replies

My 7 year old daughter has asked me a few times how did I get pregnant? Only thing I could tell her is I will tell you when you old enough to understand.

I feel guilty and like a bad mother. Because she has a picture in her head that adults get marry and love each other before they have kids.  Well she starting to think this after she saw a ring that her father had gave me. So I and her dad stuck to the story that adults fall in love, and get marry before having kids. I and her father broke up when she was 3. But we have a great co-parent relationship.  I was dating my boyfriend who I'm expecting a son from. For almost 3 years. But we never got marry or lived together.  And things are worst now because he doesn't want to settle down with me. So I'm face with being a single mother.

And all this is affecting my poor daughter.  I don't know what to say to her questions.  I didn't want her to see her mother pregnant and alone. She such a sweet, loving and caring daughter and I feel so terrible putting her thru this.

Any advice?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Krystle21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Be honest with her without going into complete details about sex. Or if you're religious you can say God seen you and the father happy and wanted to give you a baby. I haven't had this conversation with my kids yet. The other day my daughter asked me if auntie pushed her babies out of her private. It's just easier to say they were cut out, which is the truth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Well... I'd probably tell her that you and ex-bf really loved eachother and that love created a new baby.

MsLogansMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I told my dd that daddy and I had so much love to share that we wanted someone to share it with so daddy gave me a seed and that seed grew in my belly and became a beautiful loving little girl and when she was ready to come out she knocked really hard on my tummy (contractions) to tell me she was ready so I went to the hospital and the doctor helped me bring you into the world.

so far that has satisfied her curiosity

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM

That is a tough question to answer, I have been lucky that my son has not asked, I recently become pregnant by my ex and we are expecting twins, my son is so excited that I don't think he has stopped to think about how they were made lol  I agree with the other mom's if you are religions just say that God has given you the gift of becoming a mother again and blessed you with his love and give you a baby, if you aren't religious I would take the direct route without being too graphic. Tell her that you were very much in love with your ex and that love translated into having a baby grow inside you and even though the kind of love you and your ex have for each other is not the same anymore, there is still a baby growing inside you and that you are very excited about that. 

IloveNCIS
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I am just an odd ball. I told my kid the truth, he understands how babies are made.

ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM
tyfry7496
by Janet on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM
No you're not. I told my son the truth too. I never lied when he asked me questions and never will.

Quoting IloveNCIS:

I guess I am just an odd ball. I told my kid the truth, he understands how babies are made.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I'd tell her I ate a baby. At 7, they don't need to know the real answer.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM
You ate a baby? Wow!! Worst advice I've ever heard. Nothing like making a person sound like a monster!!! Way to scare a child.

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

I'd tell her I ate a baby. At 7, they don't need to know the real answer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoblueeyes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM
It's not lying to say mom and dad made the baby thru love.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)