Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Ex husband not paying child support

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am hoping that there may be someone out there that might have some answers for me. I am a single mom of a wonderful young son and my ex husband has not paid me any support money in months now. My case has been in the hands of child support for over a year now and every time I ask for an update, they tell me that it is still going to take months more. I know a lot has to do with the fact that we both live in different states than where our divorce was final. I am just devastated as I am currently not working. but I am searching every day but have not has any luck because the market is so competitive. 

I am just curious if anyone out there has gone through the same thing.

Thank you!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Tigger0421
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I have a similar problem. my x moved to fl and stopped paying. went to legal aide and this is what I was told. since both of us no longer live in the state were the order was issued that home state has no legal authority to enforce the order even though the judge put in our custody papers that nj would hold the case. you have to send a letter to your old state saying u have moved. from there they will close it case. after that u have to go and have the order enforced/reopened in it New hometown. I know this is  a pain but it's the only way to maybe see any money. after I did this my x knew I was serious and started to pay again before the court got involved

dawncs
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

There is something you might want to do in order to get child support from him. I do not know what is in your divorce decree, child support orders, and parenting schedule regards to the child tax deduction. If the child tax deduction alternates, you might want the orders amended that he has to be current as of December 31 of that year to claim your son on his tax return.

lovingmom100
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Thank you for your response. The funny thing is, this is hs year to claim him and it bothers me so badly because of the fact that he is not paying me. As I mentioned , this has been in the hands of child support for over a year now and I am trying to see if there are any steps that I can take on my own being that they are telling me that it could still take months more before his wages are garnished.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN