Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How many moms are raising children while the other parent is in jail? Advice?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

I was wondering how many moms on here are raising kids while the father is in jail? I have 4 children and there dad is in jail for 18 years. (Please do not ask why and no its not murder) I moved out of my home a year after he was sentenced and moved in with his parents. I rent a room and buy all food so that I can have help with my children due to multiple medical problems. I work and volunteer at my children's school during the week.I have started a new medication last year which has been helping Thank God so now that I'm feeling better I want to consider moving on my own. Also I want to start seeing other people I love there father and he is not replacable for the children but at the same time I need to move on with my life for our children. Has anyone been through this?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

If you are still married, then it is wise to seek for a divorce first before moving on.  Consult with an attorney for your specific situation.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Welcome to the group! Bump for more eyes to see
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

No, but the best for you and your family.  

hdc51609
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM
My sons father is in prison so i know how hard it is i do everything buy everything he has never met my son he was put in right after he was born and we had a dna test done while he was in. He gets out june of this year. We were never really together it was just a fb kinda thing. And when i was pregnant he treated me like crap. But now that i have a son with him he thinks we are getting together when he gets out. I dont think so! Ive been tryin my best too move on. Taking it one step at a time. I also live with my exs parents (my son knows my ex as dad cause hes been there since day 1) i too would like too get my own place sometime. I love the people i live with like my own fam they help me out si much. Sorry im not in the same situatiin but i know how gard it can be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mnivis01
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM
My sons father was in jail from May-October of last year. I stayed commuted and faithful to him the whole time he was there. When he got out he moved back in with us, but it only lasted a month. He left, moved back with his mom, and started hooking up with nasty little girls. So my advice..? MOVE ON AND STICK TO IT!!!! If he wants to be with you when he gets out.. let him prove it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraMH
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My ex went to prison twicewhen we were together for 5 months each and a few (smaller) stays in jail. I don't know your situation but for me, I wish I had left him every time. I made the choice to stay together with him and try to have a family. That decision was detrimental to myself and my kids. If I had it to do all over again I would not have stayed with him.

My children where calmer, better behaved and happier when he was gone. You have to do what is right for you though. Personally I think you should move on with your life. Why should you put your life on stand still bc he made a decision to put himself in prison?

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM
My dd dad is. He can't stay out.
I gave up and realized she needs a better man than him. She's seen him one time.
I don't love him so I don't know how your feel there.
I have total contempt and resentment for him.
It's hard doing it alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyneedssleep
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM
My sons dad went to prison when I was 4 months pregnant. He got out once, met my son and ended up back in! He is in and out but we have no contact! I have told him until he gets his life together he will not disrupt my sons! He moved to Wyoming and got on trouble again so now won't be out of prison until my son is 17!!! I live on my own, work full time from home and care for both of my kids!!! They are the reason I try sooo hard at everything I do!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)