Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

single teen mom wanting to get her own place

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM
  • 18 Replies
I will be 18 in about 3weeks and I have a 5 month old I work part Time and make 8.10 hrly . How would I be able to afford an apartment for me an my daughter. I know I'm unable to get government housing because their list is closed. So how do you pay for rent. And be able to afford other things. ? Any answers or suggesions are helpful I just need a thought of where to start or how to go about building an independent life style for me and my baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Welcome call 211 it's a great resource! You may née to stay at home a bit longer and save some money it's not always a bad thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nilasmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Ok. Thanks
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I struggled with $9.00/hour, I had to get a roommate.  Once I got my business going it was much easier, good luck, but I suggest you wait. 

SpurgeonMom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
i had learned even if section 8 housing is closed there are sub divisions that are like contractors of section 8 still goes strictly off of income. here they call it Denver coalition fort the homeless. i'm on a waiting list for a4 bedroom townhouse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nilasmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Thanks but I'd prefer not to live with strangers I gave it a thought but I don't want to fill uncomfortable in my own home.

Quoting mytrueloveS:

I struggled with $9.00/hour, I had to get a roommate.  Once I got my business going it was much easier, good luck, but I suggest you wait. 

nilasmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Ok. I live in md. I'll see if it is something like that here Iknow we have subsidies housing but I had assumed it was all connected just with a different name but this is great il check it out

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

i had learned even if section 8 housing is closed there are sub divisions that are like contractors of section 8 still goes strictly off of income. here they call it Denver coalition fort the homeless. i'm on a waiting list for a4 bedroom townhouse.

MamatoKy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

MD sucks for any help at all. It was like a 3 year wait when i tried to apply 5 years ago. Just stay at home, save ur money. You gotta figure in - daycare costs and such when you are at work *unless you have someone willing to watch her for free* Its expensive. I make a little more than you do and have a 7 year old daughter and struggle bad. =/ wait as long as you can and then move out. good luck tho!

Quoting nilasmommy:

Ok. I live in md. I'll see if it is something like that here Iknow we have subsidies housing but I had assumed it was all connected just with a different name but this is great il check it out

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

CafeMom Tickers
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Like another person mentioned they are housing programs that go based on your income but the waiting list is sometimes very long, best thing to do is sign up with as many programs/ building that go off income and put away all the money you don't need to use, this way you have money saved up for security and first month rent if they ask for it. Also make yourself a budget that way you actually know how much you will be able to afford in rent after all the other expenses you, this will give you a reality view of how much you should be spending on rent based on your income. 

Qkala
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Without a governement assistance I think roommate is the only way. You could also find an older BF to live with. Older men appreciate you more and are more likely to have a stable job. Find a good one and maybe he would support you enough so that you could go to school and eventualy be self supporting.

I am not suggesting you shack up with just any guy, just that when you expand the age range of potential boy firends. My husband was 12 years older than me and it was wonderful. He was much more mature and well established in his career and owned his own home already.

justahousewife
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
You might want to take advantage of not having a lot of bills yet and go to school. Being a single mom is the hardest job there is, by far. Prepare yourself before you don't have options. Learn some valuable skills, get a degree behind you. Don't rush independence until you're ready. If you're just barely scraping by you're more likely to make poor choices. Think longterm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)