Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support Questions

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM
  • 19 Replies
Hello. I have a question on what i should do. I have a two year old by a guy i dated for about a month and he is in the army. A drunken night ended up with me getting pregnant. Well, before i even knew i was pregnant i broke up with him and moved from North Carolina to Tennessee with my mom and brother. Once i found out i was pregnant i called him and told him. well, he just hung up on me and hasnt talked to me since. I called a million lawyers and nobody will help me. They said since my son was never born in north carolina nor does the father have any legal ties with any other state than North carolina, that the judge will just dismiss it because they cant legally order him to do anything from out of state. And i even thought about just getting a lawyer in North carolina and just traveling out there from Utah to go to court...but no, i cant even do that because i have to LIVE in north carolina for 6 fricken months! How the hell am i suppose to get child support if nobody will help me? I am barely scraping by and he and i could both use that money. he needs new clothes, sippy cups, shoes, jackets, and furniture. Not only that but i have no vehicle and can barely afford to pay rent. And when i say that i need a car and rent...that means that so does my son because he needs a roof over his head and a car would help us be able to get groceries, go to parks, and get back and forth to day care easier than it is with no vehicle. Any ideas on what i should do?
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Get a hold of the welfare office , they can help you with child support . Thats what I am doing now , and same thing moved different states .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
megan91
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Quoting Caitlyn137:

Get a hold of the welfare office , they can help you with child support . Thats what I am doing now , and same thing moved different states .

i am going through them right now but i feel like sonce i know his address, phone number And he is in the army that it shouldnt have taken this long....how do i get them to move faster? We need the money desperately. And when i do get it finally, how much should i expect to be getting per month?
Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:29 AM
The government is slow , California is quick but thats it . Most other states make you wait months , im still waiting .
megan91
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Quoting Caitlyn137:

The government is slow , California is quick but thats it . Most other states make you wait months , im still waiting .

but do you think i should get it this year? You said months....i live in utah near salt lake city so i do t know how quick they are about this....and since im going through them will they deduct anything from the child support for me using food stamps?
Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Every state is different , I don't know utah rules but I m sure it cant be to long as long as they can contact the guy .
blondieinva80
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Usually if you have address for him,it shouldn't take too long....I live in Virginia,and sperm donor lives in West Virginia,but he's already been ordered by court in Virginia to pay child support
Kisses4you
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Yes go through the department of social services.... They will tell you what to do and go after him to pay!!! Tell them the situation, file for help and they will help you and on top of that make him pay back... You will just need a paternity test done which he must pay for on his own i believe.

victoriangavin
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

call JAG at the army base he is on... the only way i got anything done when i was pregnant and my sons father was in the army was call the first seargent. if u know anything about his ranking and what company he is with you can get his first seargent on the phone. tell him what is going on and they will order a dna test, once that comes back positive the seargent himself will order so much to be taken out of each check and sent to you... what they said about the whole state thing is far from true, they just don't want to do any work

Quoting megan91:

Quoting Caitlyn137:

i am going through them right now but i feel like sonce i know his address, phone number And he is in the army that it shouldnt have taken this long....how do i get them to move faster? We need the money desperately. And when i do get it finally, how much should i expect to be getting per month?

msmccarty
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Minnesota is slow I am in same boat for my 2year old and even with a address they still are taking forever. Its a long process some states with the goverment with how many case loads they have

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with this, if you do in fact know where he is stationed you can contact his Commanding Officer, the military takes matter like this super serious and regardless of whether the solider wants to pay or not, if you can prove your child him, the military will deduct the money for his paycheck automatically,  your son is also entitled to other benefits through the military so  you should ask about those once you get in contact with the base. But if you have already started the process with Child Welfare that is great as well, it shouldn't take very long since he is enlisted in the army, and you have all his information, I would say a few months but like I said if you know where he is stationed I would start making loud there as well, he will either talk to you so he doesn't get in trouble or he will get in trouble with his commanding officer and you will get what you need. Best of luck hon.

Quoting victoriangavin:

call JAG at the army base he is on... the only way i got anything done when i was pregnant and my sons father was in the army was call the first seargent. if u know anything about his ranking and what company he is with you can get his first seargent on the phone. tell him what is going on and they will order a dna test, once that comes back positive the seargent himself will order so much to be taken out of each check and sent to you... what they said about the whole state thing is far from true, they just don't want to do any work

Quoting megan91:

Quoting Caitlyn137:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)