Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I feel bad?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

My ex just told me today that he got laid off from his job and wasnt sure about child support for awhile. I got really upset with him bc I was counting on this child support to start a trust acount for my son and buy him summer clothes. I argued with him so much that he promised hed find a way to pay until he finds a job, now I feel bad. Im so adament about bc right when my son was born after we broke up he said haha we were never married i dont have to pay u child support so I took his ass to court. Ever since then Ive been on top of it. But I still feel bad grrrr lol

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Don't feel bad. If that was you in his shoes, they would probably take away the kid since you can't afford him.  

breebree04
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I dont really know what I would do in this situation. On one hand I would probably feel like you because I know how hard it is being a single mom and counting on that extra money. but on the other hand its not like he purposely quit his job so he could avoid paying cs, he got laid off. As long as he was actively searching for a new job, I think I would give him 2-3 weeks to find something before I made a big deal of it. He will still owe you that money when he starts a new job.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I would think that unemployment would kick in.  Have you looked into that?  At least you have some kind of income coming in until your ex finds a new job.  I wouldn't be upset at your ex.  It wasn't his fault that he lost his job.  But, definately look into the unemployment he will more than likely be getting.

MamaBernie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I'm definitely looking into unemployment I get upset I guess bc this is the fourth job he's had in 12 months when I've been at my job for two years I always try to be responsibile
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Your first priority is your son and that's what the money is for, so doh't feel bad. It's his problem, not yours. Besides, making him pay should be a good incentive for him to find another job soon.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Don't feel bad, child support is his responsibility.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBernie
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your opinoins all Im thinking about is my sons trust account and summer clothes so thats why im so focused on this child support you try so hard to be strong in front of your kids but i worry so much at night :(

MsLogansMommy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I agree with this. When a parent loses a job that doesn't mean the children stop being hungry or that they stop needing clothes etc. His current employment situation is not your child's fault. Your child still has needs and they need to be met and he is still the father and still responsible.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Your first priority is your son and that's what the money is for, so doh't feel bad. It's his problem, not yours. Besides, making him pay should be a good incentive for him to find another job soon.

MamaBernie
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I agree and hes done so little for him also. I held off on child support until my son was 5 months old i told him all im asking for is 30 a week with diapers and wipes and if u dont do it im filing for child support the week after i went to the office.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)