Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

child support

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 28 Replies

HELP My daughters father lives in PA and is in the arrears now for over 9,400 dollars. He works of course but as a sub contractor ,so he doesn't get a real paycheck. The court system is so slow but I am tried of waiting. I emailed Governor Jack Markell office but have not helped any. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?? I don't understand how he can get away with it?? Along the same line I have to let him see her too because if I don't I will be the one that goes to jail not him. Child support and visitation are two different things. Whatever!! At least she is old enough to tell him herself that she doesn't want to go with him.

HELP ME PLEASE.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Do you know his employers name? Im just thinking if its court ordered its supposed to be garnished
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I wish I had any advice for you. My ex hasn't paid in almost a year and is in arrears over 10K. The courts don't do a thing and you are right, if I don't send the kids I go to jail. There really is nothing that can be done to expedite the process. I just got a letter in the mail that my case was sent to the prosecuting attorneys office and they will contact me at a later date. So I am guessing that means...Several more months. I did call child support enforcement almost everyday to check on my case. I guess they got tired of me calling so much for a year.

Sorry, it probably doesn't help much but hopefully something will happen soon. Good luck mama!!

breebree04
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I would think by now the courts would have put a warrant out for his arrest. Have you contacted the courts? My ex was about 1100 behind and they threatened to throw him in jail if he didnt catch up. Even if he doesnt get a paycheck/pay taxes he should still have to pay cs and if he tells them he doesnt work to cover up paying, they (judge) should demand that he gets a job that provides an actual paycheck. Also in my state they suspend their drivers license if they are to far behind and then if they get pulled over driving they go to jail and their bail amount is set at what they owe in back cs

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Hopefully you're able to get something figured out!

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

This.  If he owes you that much money report him to the child support enforcement agency, I'm not sure who they are in your state but in NYC the agency that enforces child support is actually the Marshall office,  here if they owe that much it will go in front of a judge and he either agrees to pay the back child support in a period of times ( usually 30 days) or get throw in jail. Furthermore if he continues not to pay they will just garnish his wages if he is paid legally and uses one employer. I would take your case to the agency and give them as much information as possible and get his butt summon into court.

Quoting breebree04:

I would think by now the courts would have put a warrant out for his arrest. Have you contacted the courts? My ex was about 1100 behind and they threatened to throw him in jail if he didnt catch up. Even if he doesnt get a paycheck/pay taxes he should still have to pay cs and if he tells them he doesnt work to cover up paying, they (judge) should demand that he gets a job that provides an actual paycheck. Also in my state they suspend their drivers license if they are to far behind and then if they get pulled over driving they go to jail and their bail amount is set at what they owe in back cs

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Have you filed with your states child support enforcement? They will work with his state agency to intercept any wages/ tax returns / put leins on any property he owns. As a sub contractor he still has to file taxes. They alsi have the power to get him arrested if needed. Iam torn on jail time because he ccan't pay if in jail and if he loses jobs over being jail the state can't enforce it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
massconfusion14
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

In Texas, you can go through the Office of the Attorney General so I'm sure there is something like that in PA. Here, if the person is in arrears, they can be arrested!

massconfusion14
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM

If he is a subcontractor and doesn't get paid through normal "paychecks" it can't be garnished because there is nothing to garnish it from. 

Quoting Cenedra64:

Do you know his employers name? Im just thinking if its court ordered its supposed to be garnished

massconfusion14
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/csws/ <---- Child support agency for PA. You need to contact them ASAP if you haven't already. In most states, they can intercept his tax refund or throw his booty in jail!

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Quoting massconfusion14:

https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/csws/ <---- Child support agency for PA. You need to contact them ASAP if you haven't already. In most states, they can intercept his tax refund or throw his booty in jail!

Do you have a link for Missouri??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)