Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

New to group

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am a new member of the group so please bear with me.  I am currently a single mom-but not by choice. You see, my husband was brutally murdered back in August of 2012, in front of our house, for no reason.  I have two teenage daughters  (13 and 15) who are my reason for living, plus I have two grown children who are my reason for living.  It has been a rough road for all of us, but we are doing the best we can.  We presently live in South Bend, IN, where it is under 10 degrees and presently have 4" of snow with more on the way.  I am 47 years old.  My husband and I were married for 19 years but together for 20.  He was only 55 years old.  It is very difficult to get through each day, but my husband would not want us to live in the past, so we must move on.  I was diagnosed with PTSD just after his murder, I kept having flashbacks and I could not sleep at all.  I cried quite often and my family was really worried about me and suggested I get some help.  So I did, and after nearly six months, I can talk about my husband without breaking down uncontrollably.

My daughters and I live with my grown son and his family, they have five kids that range in age from nine to two.  It is pretty chaotic in the morning when the five oldest, who are all female, are getting ready for school and having only one bathroom.  My son took us in when we didn't have a place to go.  Needless to say, I have a pretty awesome family.  We have are moments, but we are sticking together because all we have is each other and I love them all too much to lose them.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.  Hugs!!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM

oh and welcome to our group!

LauraMH
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I am so sorry for everything that you have been though. It's good that you got/are getting help to deal with the depression and PTSD that came from your experience. This is an amazing group of women here and we will all be here to support you in the challenges of being a single mom.

I have a lot of family in South Bend/Elkhart area so I know how "fun" all that snow is!

deltathree
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Hi & welcome.  I'm so sorry for your loss - hugs.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Welcome to the group.  I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband.  I'm so glad you have such a wonderful, supportive son!

Quoting Jamilynn130:

I am a new member of the group so please bear with me.  I am currently a single mom-but not by choice. You see, my husband was brutally murdered back in August of 2012, in front of our house, for no reason.  I have two teenage daughters  (13 and 15) who are my reason for living, plus I have two grown children who are my reason for living.  It has been a rough road for all of us, but we are doing the best we can.  We presently live in South Bend, IN, where it is under 10 degrees and presently have 4" of snow with more on the way.  I am 47 years old.  My husband and I were married for 19 years but together for 20.  He was only 55 years old.  It is very difficult to get through each day, but my husband would not want us to live in the past, so we must move on.  I was diagnosed with PTSD just after his murder, I kept having flashbacks and I could not sleep at all.  I cried quite often and my family was really worried about me and suggested I get some help.  So I did, and after nearly six months, I can talk about my husband without breaking down uncontrollably.

My daughters and I live with my grown son and his family, they have five kids that range in age from nine to two.  It is pretty chaotic in the morning when the five oldest, who are all female, are getting ready for school and having only one bathroom.  My son took us in when we didn't have a place to go.  Needless to say, I have a pretty awesome family.  We have are moments, but we are sticking together because all we have is each other and I love them all too much to lose them.

sol4J
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family – I am sorry for you loss. I applaud you for being a strong woman. Obviously you are doing all that you can and your efforts will be appreciated at some point. Healing takes time; I know about a group called GriefShare that help people who are dealing with the death of a loved one. You might also do some journaling on your husband’s live. Hope I have helped in some way. I will be here for you. Take good care!
2lilguysmommy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM

i am sorry for ur loss .  welcome to the group.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Welcome. So sorry for your loss.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Welcome! So sorry for your loss. Glad you were able to seek help and are learning to deal with everything. You raised a good son to take you guys in when you needed it even though he already had a full house. You are a strong woman, hope things continue getting better for you.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Welcome to the group. I'm so sorry for your loss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN