Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Enrolling my daughter in school

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 9 Replies
I want to enroll my daughter in school early. I saw on the application that i needed to show proof of any parent that isnt in tge home but on the birth certificate. Unfortunately, he dad passed away when she was eight months and since we were never married, in the state of CA if you werent married or a close relative you cant obtain a death certificate. I do have a copy of one but not an original. Does any one know if i need an original copy? Or has anyone enrolled their child in school with out the consent of the other parent? Thanks in advance!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Death cert is public records so I am sure a copy is all you would need for school.
Edit to add: your daughter would be considered close relative even if you guys werent married. You should be able to get a copy on her behalf. You would need it for things like this or if ever needed to apply for assistance on her behalf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Texas and I enrolled my son in school without my ex knowing.  My son resides within that school district, so that's where he is suppose to attend.  

lydi
by Lydi on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

i enrolled my dd without her father knowing. maybe you can contact the school and ask them what your options are?

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
CA required me to write a letter to the school giving my ex permission to enroll tge kids (the moved back before me so they could start school right when the year started). CA just requires a divorce decree showing you have custody or in your situation you can show copy of the death cert. They don't need an origional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just contact the school!!
aLBa87
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Thank you ladies!
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to the Board of Ed , most application ask for so many things and proof of stuff that they don't even bothering looking at. So explain your situation to them and they may tell you nothing is necessary, my son goes to private school but I still had to enrolled him with the Board of Ed,  I filled out the paperwork and brought my proof of address and filled out that my ex lived in another place  and they never asked me for his proof or consent when I went from my appointment to enroll him.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd contact the school and explain the situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM
It would probably work. Just call the school and ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)