Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Welfare recepients and lottery tickets?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: Good idea or no?

Options:

Great idea!

Horrible idea

Doesn't matter to me

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

Have you heard about a bill that the Congress is trying to get passed? They are trying to pass a bill that would ban welfare reciepents from purchasing lottery tickets. They quoted some guy on tv as saying that If the state gives us money to afford the barest of neccessities we shouldn't go out and spend it on unecessary things. What do you think about this bill? and before you ask how would the grocery store know if you are on welfare? If the bill passes the clerk is required to ask you if you are and if you are then they deny the sale! If they are caught selling a ticket to someone on welfare they face a fine of I think $500.

I personally believe that this is a bunch of bull. Simply because my financial status shouldn't matter when I purchase a lottery ticket BUT at the same time I can see where they are coming from. Its like you are being supported by taxpayers so the money you are getting should be used wisely and not on some pipe dream of hoping to win the lottery and strike it rich you know?

What do you say?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I heard bits and pieces on radio this morning. I have to wonder just how far the gvt will infring on personal rights if they can impose this. Next thing you know theyll tell you no toys for your kids etc. Its bad enough there are people who blow up and say foodstamp recipients shouldnt be able to buy sweets or sodas...things all other people eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I think this is stupid. I am on pa but dont receive cash so if I were to purchase lottery tickets it would be payed for with money I earn working. Plus if I won the lottery I would be able to get off of pa, assuming I won big. I dont play the lottery though so either way it wont affect me

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Yea I am the same way. I'm on PA but not recieving cash assistance.  I guess if they pass the bill they will clarify what type of assistance or maybe it is all types of assistance seeing as that it is all paid for by taxpayers. Crazy to know that I am working 2 jobs and yet still don't make enough to not qualify for PA. I am basically paying for my own PA if you think about it.

Quoting breebree04:

I think this is stupid. I am on pa but dont receive cash so if I were to purchase lottery tickets it would be payed for with money I earn working. Plus if I won the lottery I would be able to get off of pa, assuming I won big. I dont play the lottery though so either way it wont affect me

mytrueloveS
by Lori on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, as well as not letting them get cash back.  

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Why?

Quoting mytrueloveS:

I agree, as well as not letting them get cash back.  

raegan1221
by Raegan on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I think it's dumb honestly because people are on welfare because they can't afford things, and the lottery is a hit or miss way to get money. But then again I guess I can see it because if you're on welfare you shouldn't be spending money on things like lottory tickets. I guess I could mainly see this for someone who literally spends every dime on lottery tickets and they're children are hungry because of this. I don't know, I don't really agree with it.

breebree04
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I like the way you think lol thats how I feel too. Im not some pos sitting on my ass collecting PA. I work full-time and pay taxes but just cant make ends meet since Im a single mom with two kids to support so I feel that I am atleast contributing to my own PA

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Yea I am the same way. I'm on PA but not recieving cash assistance.  I guess if they pass the bill they will clarify what type of assistance or maybe it is all types of assistance seeing as that it is all paid for by taxpayers. Crazy to know that I am working 2 jobs and yet still don't make enough to not qualify for PA. I am basically paying for my own PA if you think about it.

Quoting breebree04:

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Lottery first and then what? No movies, eating out, no driving anywhere except work due to gas prices, etc etc. My point is you can't dictate where someone spends their money... food stamps is different since those are already specifically for food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
3 moms liked this
This is entirely the wrong battle. Why aren't we banning them from buying cigarettes? That would make a ton more sense than a lottery ticket. Lottery tickets are at least generally supporting non profit organizations as well as scholarships and grants for education.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

So they won't end up buying cigarettes and beer.  I've seen it all at work.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)