Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Welfare recepients and lottery tickets?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Good idea or no?

Options:

Great idea!

Horrible idea

Doesn't matter to me

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

Have you heard about a bill that the Congress is trying to get passed? They are trying to pass a bill that would ban welfare reciepents from purchasing lottery tickets. They quoted some guy on tv as saying that If the state gives us money to afford the barest of neccessities we shouldn't go out and spend it on unecessary things. What do you think about this bill? and before you ask how would the grocery store know if you are on welfare? If the bill passes the clerk is required to ask you if you are and if you are then they deny the sale! If they are caught selling a ticket to someone on welfare they face a fine of I think $500.

I personally believe that this is a bunch of bull. Simply because my financial status shouldn't matter when I purchase a lottery ticket BUT at the same time I can see where they are coming from. Its like you are being supported by taxpayers so the money you are getting should be used wisely and not on some pipe dream of hoping to win the lottery and strike it rich you know?

What do you say?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
mhaney03
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Pffft whatever.

I rarely carry cash.  I have an interest-bearing checking account so every dollar I have, even change, I put in there so I can get as much interest as possible.  On the rare occasion I do have enough change to equal a dollar on me I might get a mega millions ticket.  the last one I bought won me $1, so I used that to buy another, which I won nothing.  I never buy more than 1 or two at a time, and I might do that every other month.

I can see how this is an issue for people who get cash assistance and spend half of it on the powerball.  I don't get cash assistance, only food stamps.

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I'm 24 and my son just turned 8. I didn't have a copay as I was 16 and still in school and in a program where a requirement for him to be in daycare was for me to stay in school.

Quoting Cenedra64:

My girls are 13 and 15 ...lets see i used daycare when they were in elementary. They didnt call it vouchers and i had a copay. If i remember right i paid $45 or $65 out of pocket a week

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Has it always been like this? I've always lived in NC and when my son was younger and I had him in daycare I was using vouchers but I don't remember there  being a time limit for picking him up. He is 8 years old now so maybe I just can't remember it.

Quoting Cenedra64:

See in a way here in NC they already sort of do that. If you're receiving daycare assistance you have one hour to pick your kids up after work. To a degree thats controlling how you spend your time. Not allowed to stop to buy food on way home even if its not practical to drive to get kids then go back get groceries.

Quoting conniejo75:

Lottery first and then what? No movies, eating out, no driving anywhere except work due to gas prices, etc etc. My point is you can't dictate where someone spends their money... food stamps is different since those are already specifically for food

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

While I don't think it's right for them to spend a lot on it like several people I know, I don't see anything wrong with buying a scratch off or powerball here and there.

aj23
by Amanda on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Its stupid. They would spend more money regulating it then it would even come close to saving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM
How do you figure that? I know many people on SSI who LEGALLY buy alcohol and lottery tickets. Being on SSI doesn't limit what you can and cannot buy.

Please provide where you got your info, I'd really like to know so I can tell the attorneys and Social Security employees I know that they don't know their jobs.

Quoting yezay:

It won't work. They can't prove they're buying them if its with cash and they can just have other people cash them. People on SSI aren't supposed to buy lottery or alcohol and they still do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM

im sure it wont pass. it sounds ridiculous to me if the store clerk asks someone if they are on welfare how will they know if the person is telling the truth and also this can open the door to so many civil rights violations I understand the reason behind wanting something like this to pass but there are too many flaws and what ifs I just dont agree with it so are they going to go to the store with every welfare recipient and make sure they dont splurge on items they dont feel they should be purchasing and then who decides what they should purchase are they gonna say its not okay for a person using food stamps to buy a soda or a candy bar since they arent nutritious obviously the parent shouldnt be buying junk for their kids whether they use food stamps or not but I dont think the government has a right to tell people what to buy even though it is tax payers money it would just be too invasive and too hard to enforce imo

yezay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
What state do you live in? In Massachusetts my company told us that out clients cant buy lottery or alcohol with their Ssi because its against the law. They could have their Ssi taken away.

And lose the attitude I'm just giving my opinion on the situation and what I've been told. I'm not trying to be an expert but apparently you are.
Quoting tyfry7496:

How do you figure that? I know many people on SSI who LEGALLY buy alcohol and lottery tickets. Being on SSI doesn't limit what you can and cannot buy.

Please provide where you got your info, I'd really like to know so I can tell the attorneys and Social Security employees I know that they don't know their jobs.

Quoting yezay:

It won't work. They can't prove they're buying them if its with cash and they can just have other people cash them. People on SSI aren't supposed to buy lottery or alcohol and they still do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Regardless of what state you live in once the check is cashed how will they know what is being bought with the money? I know a bill was passed to where they have switched most benefits to a debit card to be uploaded for the month instead of paper checks in the mail but still.... there is a way around everything I guess.

I have never heard of this either *about SSI being restricted for certain usage*

Quoting yezay:

What state do you live in? In Massachusetts my company told us that out clients cant buy lottery or alcohol with their Ssi because its against the law. They could have their Ssi taken away.

And lose the attitude I'm just giving my opinion on the situation and what I've been told. I'm not trying to be an expert but apparently you are.
Quoting tyfry7496:

Quoting yezay:

yezay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
The point is that a law won't change a thing. People sell their food stamp money for drugs. People will always find a way around it. It's a waste of resources to try to monitor anything like that.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Regardless of what state you live in once the check is cashed how will they know what is being bought with the money? I know a bill was passed to where they have switched most benefits to a debit card to be uploaded for the month instead of paper checks in the mail but still.... there is a way around everything I guess.

I have never heard of this either *about SSI being restricted for certain usage*

Quoting yezay:

Quoting tyfry7496:

Quoting yezay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serenitymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I think this is rediculous. The goverment would be better off if they just took people off govt assistance if they won (up to a certain amount) or put a temp pause on receiving them for a certain time. That would make more sence. I mean they are taking away a source of income for these people if they do win. You never know, they could use that money to better their lives and be off of govt assistance for good..... (We could hope anyway, thats what I would do with it).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)