Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Welfare recepients and lottery tickets?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Good idea or no?

Options:

Great idea!

Horrible idea

Doesn't matter to me

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

Have you heard about a bill that the Congress is trying to get passed? They are trying to pass a bill that would ban welfare reciepents from purchasing lottery tickets. They quoted some guy on tv as saying that If the state gives us money to afford the barest of neccessities we shouldn't go out and spend it on unecessary things. What do you think about this bill? and before you ask how would the grocery store know if you are on welfare? If the bill passes the clerk is required to ask you if you are and if you are then they deny the sale! If they are caught selling a ticket to someone on welfare they face a fine of I think $500.

I personally believe that this is a bunch of bull. Simply because my financial status shouldn't matter when I purchase a lottery ticket BUT at the same time I can see where they are coming from. Its like you are being supported by taxpayers so the money you are getting should be used wisely and not on some pipe dream of hoping to win the lottery and strike it rich you know?

What do you say?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (41-45):
Caramel824
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Quoting Mrs.Sells:

PA is there to help provide the things you need like food, clothes and shelter not the things you want like booze, cigarettes and scratch offs. 

I NEED BOOZE,and CATFOOD!!!!AND CAT LITTER!!!!those things aren't covered with food stamps!!I wish I could put my cats on my budget!!!!!!!LOL!!
IBNeaters
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

While I personally think if you get assistance from the govt, you shouldn't be irresponsible and buy lottery tickets, how are they going to regulate it?  Sorry, but sometimes the govt can't really regulate how stupid ppl can be.  You just have to make your own decisions.  

Hotmessmom
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

If a welfare recipient wins the lottery they should be banned permanently from collecting any government assistance like welfare and food stamps. I am not sure if they should be banned from buying lottery tickets though, but there should be a limnit on how many they can buy per welfare check. Tax payers are paying for it.

Misha1204
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Who cares if someone on welfare buys a damn lottery ticket?! How would anyone know? If someone walks into a gas station and buys gas & a ticket......I guess, in this case, they wouldn't know.
Just another way to control our households. There's more important things the gov't should be worried about. SMMFH!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZipporahH
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Maybe it's just me, but telling someone they can't buy a scratch off ticket, because they receive government assistance, is stupid. Same goes for people saying, you shouldn't buy that on food stamps, because it is unhealthy. I'm sorry, but does anybody pay attention to prices of food? The unhealthy crap is what is cheaper. Meat, fish, vegetables, milk, and water are extremely expensive. And, when you get a month worth of assistance, that amounts to $360, to feed three kids/teenagers and yourself, your in a bind to have to buy the worst kind of crap to pump into your body. Not to mention if you have a job, while receiving benefits. Which you have, to put yourself a little ahead, those benefits((HUD, foodstamps, medicaid, and SSI)), get stripped away to nothing. But, yet the people in government, that make these regulations for everyone else get free health care to the best doctors and are able to be put on donors list at a drop of the hat, with out having to pay nothing and give theirselves raises, of what they see fit. Then we have ex-presidents that receive annual salaries of $400,000+, and free health care, for him and his family for the rest of his/there lives, because he happened to be president for 4 or 8 years? Yet, we b*tch and gripe about the poor and the lower middle class receiving government assistance of $50-$800, when our own government is on a wealthier paycheck of welfare that is in the hundred thousands? I think we as a country have our priorities f*cked up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN