Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
I was just wondering about something and hope maybe someone has been in this situation or has any answers.
I live in Florida currently. I've lived here for 6 yrs. it is where I met my ex. My family lives in Mi. I'm now 6 months pregnant and have chosen to live in Fl. For the time being. When I found out I was pregnant my plan was to move back home to Mi to be near my family. My baby's father was ok with me moving. (Here in fl. I have my grandparents and aunt who are very willing to help me) I changed my mind a few times about where I wanted to live and raise my son. That's when I decided to stay in fl. And see how it goes. I figured I shouldn't make a huge move if I was that unsure if it was really what I wanted. I haven't changed my mind again about moving out of state but I have been thinking a lot about not wanting to be stuck in Fl. After my son is born. My baby's father and I are not on good terms right now so I don't know if he would ever give me permission to move. Do I have any other options? Like what if I marry someone that has to move for their job.. I wouldn't be able to go?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I believe as long as you are the custodial parent you have the right to determine residence. In some instances it is put in the CO that the ncp must agree to the move but more often than not its not up to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Read over your divorce agreement.  If it does not stipulate where you and your child can live then I would think it's okay to move wherever you wanted to.  If you do get married then I would at least let your ex know you are getting married and if you move let him know where you move to just for respectability of him being the father. 

lightoftheworld
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM
If you want to move, I recommend doing so before the baby is born. The father will have much less to say in the matter while you are still pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM
If this guy ends up being an active father and had any type of custody he CAN make it difficult for you to move. Even if you have primary most CO's say you have to stay living in the state and actually usually the county or some mile radius.
megs88
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! I have an appointment with my lawyer in a couple days so hopefully my questions will be answered.
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Good luck, mama!

styler7
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Years back I wanted to move out of state with my 6&7yr olds. I filed a Change of Domicile order with the courts, and the judge granted it. I was able to move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)