Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

TAXES

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

Curious if you ladies have a general answer for me.

My boyfriend and I are getting very serious. I'm a student living off school loans because my school work suffers while I work and I come up short for bills after paying for child care for my one child. 

Now I know taxes varie. But do you think it would be better for tax purposes to get married or not? We live in Oregon and he is unemployed at the moment but I'm sure that won't be for much longer.

Well here's another question too lol. Do you think it would be better if he went back to school too or got a job? He generally only makes $10-13/hr when working.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ckmom2013
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
A job! I think going back to school is useless these days unlesd you are working while in school. Idk about the marraige part though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It really depends, I'm in Oregon as well. Long term, having some sort of post high school education is a really good thing to have, even if it's a certificate or an Associate's degree. I think it's also possible to work and go to school at the same time. Making the sacrifice now for the future is sometimes necessary. I did it as a single parent, paying daycare and running a household. Tax wise, I can't really answer that, only a tax professional can, and it won't affect your taxes (positively or negatively) until you file for 2013 (if you get married this year). :)

Proud Momma to one fabulous 4th grader.

wearing crowngirl giving flower

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I work full time and go to school full time too. I don't think its impossible to work at least part time. As for the getting married... grneyedormom is right, it won't affect you for tax filing this yr anyway. If you get married no thru Dec 31, 2013 it will affect next yrs taxes.

Quoting grneyedormom:

It really depends, I'm in Oregon as well. Long term, having some sort of post high school education is a really good thing to have, even if it's a certificate or an Associate's degree. I think it's also possible to work and go to school at the same time. Making the sacrifice now for the future is sometimes necessary. I did it as a single parent, paying daycare and running a household. Tax wise, I can't really answer that, only a tax professional can, and it won't affect your taxes (positively or negatively) until you file for 2013 (if you get married this year). :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about this in my post. I by no means think I could do anything to effect my 2012 taxes. I'm asking for the fututre.

I know most women go to school and work. But I personally have trouble keeping my 4.0 GPA while working so I am choosing to do what I feel is best for my family by focusing on school and my child and collecting a little more debt.

Thank you for your concern :-)

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

No, you were clear and I fully understood what you were saying and asking. And really, when it comes down to it, you and your bf are the only ones who can decide what is best for your family on whether or not to get married, for him to get a job, return to school or get a job AND return to school. Perhaps even find a job that will pay for him to return to school! Woot, that would even be the best way to pay for him to get an advanced degree, because it wouldn't come out of your pocket pocket and he'd still earn an income. What are you studying? I graduated with a pretty high GPA as well, as a non-trad student in '08 from the UO.

Quoting mommaJewels2011:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about this in my post. I by no means think I could do anything to effect my 2012 taxes. I'm asking for the fututre.

I know most women go to school and work. But I personally have trouble keeping my 4.0 GPA while working so I am choosing to do what I feel is best for my family by focusing on school and my child and collecting a little more debt.

Thank you for your concern :-)

Proud Momma to one fabulous 4th grader.

wearing crowngirl giving flower

tyfry7496
by Janet on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
If you get married, his income will be looked at for financial aid.

Both of you should have jobs to help support the family. You can work and go to school and maintain a decent GPA. I worked, did an internship, took 15 credits and made sure I was at every activity my son had while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. I had a strict schedule and kept to it. It wasn't easy but it is possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I know this is not related to your post but could you tell me who you got your student loans through? I am going to have to begin school full time in the near future and am going to have to live off student loans too. I don't want to get them all through Sallie Mae bc they have high interest rates. If you feel comfortable telling me, I would really like some idea. Thank you  :)

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

no you shouldnt get married for tax purposes and yes he should get an education if he can.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM

id like to add some ppl CAN do the parenting/working/school thing and some cant. thats why i never eturned to school, i know my limitations and it is not something i can manage.

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

No getting married will not benefit you in the least, you are currently attending school and if he will be obtaining a job his income would affect how much financial aid you will receive and that will affect as soon as it's time to fill out financial aid forms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)