Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Interstate Child Support Advice

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or if anyone has had to deal with this.

I live in Georgia, my hometown, I moved back here when my son was 5 months old, he was born in Tennessee, which is where his father lives. (My DS is now 4 and 1/2)

I filed for child support in 2009, they established a case in 2010, but other than that they have done NOTHING for me. No court date, no court order, nothing. I gave them numerous information including his drivers license number and social security number.

I have contacted the interstate child support office, the local office, and the office in TN to no avail.

I am assuming they "can't find him" or they just aren't trying since it's out of state.

* He does not talk to my DS, and has not seen him since he was 10 months old. I on the other had hear from him about once a month. He does not work, has no car, makes no effort to try to see him, or send money or nessessities. He thinks because he does not work, that it's ok to not support his son.

I would like to get the ball rolling on a case, or have his rights terminated.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Hi and welcome to the court.

confused

He does not talk to my DS, and has not seen him since he was 10 months old. I on the other had hear from him about once a month

mommyinthe303
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Have fun. I desk with texas and i love in Colorado. They do NOTHING too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zanesmommy538
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM

It's horrible that they don't do nothing. They're lazy , and don't want to deal with other states.

Braylen1215
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You need to apply in GA which is where you currently reside. Do you work? Ever applied for FS? Apply for ANY form of public assistance (even if you don't need it), and it will get the ball rolling faster since the state will want the non-custodial parent to pay them back. I know someone who did this even though she didn't need it. She applied for FS (she got $150), medicaid, and childcare assistance (only had to pay $15/wk compared to the $68/wk she was paying). It took a few months but the state found the deadbeat and he's paying the state back what his child received and child support started rolling in. Good luck!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

idk what to adivse you but if he has no job anyways you arent gonna get much.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM

this is true unfortunately. if you are self supprting, they dont give a shit but they are thirsty as hell to recoup aid.

Quoting Braylen1215:

You need to apply in GA which is where you currently reside. Do you work? Ever applied for FS? Apply for ANY form of public assistance (even if you don't need it), and it will get the ball rolling faster since the state will want the non-custodial parent to pay them back. I know someone who did this even though she didn't need it. She applied for FS (she got $150), medicaid, and childcare assistance (only had to pay $15/wk compared to the $68/wk she was paying). It took a few months but the state found the deadbeat and he's paying the state back what his child received and child support started rolling in. Good luck!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would find an attorney that has a LexusNexus system.  If you have your ex's SSN# you can track where he works and if he's paid taxes.  Perhaps you can put a lien on his taxes?  Either way, pulling up his info will give you where he's working (state and fed taxes paid).  If you have a signed agreement for cs and your ex has not paid one dime in over a year he automatically in contempt of court.  He has to have a living somehow. 

Krystle21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Very true, I have an interstate case and was on welfare when I had my kids. Took about a year to start getting payments. In the mean time He still owed the state and had to pay me

Quoting Braylen1215:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:27 AM
GA us where you should file. Child support enforcement is so understaffed they don't have the resources to chase after a guy who has no job or assets. Plus you have to understand as a deadbeat he probably will never pay. I would certainly file but the sad truth is you may not collect anything. And getting his rights terminated probably won't happen unless you are remarried and your husband adopts. Good luck
zanesmommy538
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies. I am remarried, my husband has been taking care of him since he was 5 months old when we met. We've been married four years. I do get foodstamps (80$ a month) and medicaid. I have another child too.

I filed for the foodstamps and medicaid to get the ball rolling but apparently that didn't work, but they did say I had to apply for child support if I recieved the medicaid.

He apparently lives with his mom and dad. IF he works it's probably with his dad and is not on a payroll, but as far as he's told me he's trying to get disability. (Which I do not think he needs, as he is not disabled at all).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)