Jan 19th, my daughter had to be picked up from her father's because he was too drunk to be supervising my daughter or his older two children. He had gotten in a fight with his new girlfriend and sent the kids upstairs. His oldest daughter (12) called her mother in tears. She picked up my daughter for me since she didn't know what was going on or what to expect when she got there and my ex's new girl friend had physically attacked me the last time that I went to the house to pick up my daughter. My daughter thought she had been bad and that was why they were sent home. At 4 she just didn't understand what was going on. She was very worried about her brother and sister crying and being scared.
My ex already was ordered by the court not to drink in front of his older children in June of 2011. Since he obviously has completely disregarded that court order and with the events of last weekend (the 19th), I felt I was left with little option but to do something to protect my daughter. I filed a petition with the court to set a hearing to restrict/supervise parenting time. The restrictions I am requesting are:
1. No smoking (my daughter has asthma)
2. Transportation: he needs to pick her up (I have until the beginning of this year provided all transportation)
3. His New girlfriend is not to be the only one caring for my daughter. The new girlfriend has seizures - and doesnt have her license right now because of that. I don't know anything else about them, but at 4 my daughter wouldn't know what to do. Also, I dont want the new girlfriend to be there at transitions since she attacked me last time.
4. No alcohol consumption - obviously he doesn't need to drink around the kids based off of what happened during his last visitation. and if he is drinking there is no one to drive the kids anywhere if there were an emergency.
5. Supervision - because i cant trust him to follow a court order and keep our daughter in a safe environment, i feel this is the best option.
Obviously i put more info in my petition. A court date is set for a couple weeks from now. In the order setting the date, it also states the visitation be supervised by an adult that i approve until the judge can rule on the parenting time issues. So that means this weekend, my ex will have to find someone that I approve of to supervise his parenting time. I am pretty sure that will make it impossible for overnights. This is going to be hard on Adrianna because she loves seeing her dad and misses him....
The whole mess is stressful, but I feel like ultimately, I am doing what i need to do to protect my daughter - even though it is really hard.
I can't wait for things to settle down - between this and what is going on with the house, the next month or so is going to be crazy I know...
Does anyone have any experiences with supervised visitation? how did it go? was it short term, long term, permanent? etc.